St. Anne's Graveyard, Easkey, Sligo, Ireland
Whitechurch Cemetery Tour
Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
Dublin Index
Contributed by Joe Walsh

WHITECHURCH CEMETERY TOUR Conducted and Composed by Local Historian Joe Walsh
Old Dublin Society - Summer Outing - September 11, 2010.

The area immediately adjacent to the focal point for this event abounds
in a rich history of people,places and structures.It occurred to me that
we could broaden the scope of our outing by seeing some of these and
learning a little about others,possibly prompting follow-up visits.

WHITECHURCH PARISH CHURCH: A short distance away are the ruins of a
medieval Whitechurch predecessor,surrounded by an old cemetery.By the 13
th century it had come into the possession of St.Mary's Abbey in
Dublin.After the dissolution of the Abbey by Henry VIII it became part
of the Established Church.In 1615 the church and chancel were in good
repair but by the follwing century they were in ruins. The "New
Whitechurch"where we are gathered, was completed in 1826 to serve as the
new Parish Church.It was consecrated,blessed and opened by Archbishop
Magee of Dublin.This was one of the many fine projects of the architect
John Semple(aptly rhyming with temple!)He built all his churches between
1824 and 1831,each one in his own individual style.His impressive list
includes St.Mary's Chapel of Ease,popularly known as the "Black
Church,"St.Mary's Donnybrook,(where W.B.Yeats was baptised in
1865),St.Maelruains Tallaght,Holy Trinity Rathmines and Abbeyleix and
Monkstown Parish Churches.I always had special admiration for his
Kilternan Church,regarded as one of his finest.I enjoyed a commanding
view of it at least twice daily for many years,from an upstairs seat on
the route 44 bus! Whitechurch is very similar and equally attractive,
with its notable features of granite structure,and elegant, slender
spire-a striking sight when seen from afar. It has tall and thin lancet
windows and five high internal thrust arches,made of timber and
plastered over to give a stone effect,spanning the nave.Three years
earlier than Whitechurch,Semple had designed the Round Room of The
Mansion House.

PIPE ORGAN:In 1980 a previous Organist, Stephen Adams, heard that there
was an unused organ in a closed Church in Ballinrobe,Co.Mayo. The
existing organ in Whitechurch was considered too small and the new organ
was brought to Whitechurch and stored while the gallery was being
extended and given a newly decorated front. On Sunday, December 12,
1993, Most. Rev. Dr. Caird presided over a special service of re-
dedication of the rebuilt organ and Mr. Adams had the honour of giving a
short recital on his 'find.'

WART STONE:Located directly across the road from the Church, this is one
of many holy curative sites which in the past, believers visited in
search of spiritual guidance and cures for every manner of illness. Many
such locations, especially holy wells, have largely fallen out of favour
and are often overgrown. The visits here, often made at regular times of
the day, obviously necessitated the recitation of prayers and the
application of the water to the affected area.

This local wart-stone can be seen in its original, more verdant,
surroundings in a 1990 photo in "South Dublin Images/Whitechurch" (Ref.
No. 5841). It is said that an "I.L."inscription was originally visible
on the cross plinth of what was surely the base of a free-standing cross
and the water simply collected in the empty socket. During recent
construction work, a machine operator was prevented from removing it by
vigilant Sexton Reg Richards.

MORAVIAN CEMETERY, c.1750,known as "God's Acre" is located nearby.It has
square stone grave markers arranged in rows to either side and an avenue
of cherry trees flanking the path. It was used until the early part of
the last century. Moravians came to Ireland around 1700, mainly from the
Rhineland Palatinate area (now the Czech Republic). They were fleeing
from Louis XIV's wars with Germany and its allies. A John Cennick from
Reading, Berkshire, who was originally a Quaker, came to Ireland in 1746
and was established as their leader. They founded a church in Kevin
Street. Daniel Defoe was a supporter and wrote many pamphlets in their
favour. Contrary to a theory commonly held, it is untrue that burials
were made in vertical fashion. However, males are buried on one side of
the avenue and females on the other.

MEMORIALS IN CHURCH AND Cemetery: - County Dublin, Ireland [IGP Free Irish Genealogy]

Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
Dublin Index


File contributed by:

 Here we can find names from the fields
of trade and commerce, art, religion, academia and the military. Much
has already been said and written about them, a real bonus for the
scholar and researcher or just those of an enquiring mind. I have
employed the same numbering sequence as the IGP Archives for conformity.
The headstone and inscription for the person's history with the number
one, can also be found with this number in the Whitechurch photo and
inscription files under "Dublin Headstones" at

No 1.
WILLIAM ARMSTRONG HAYES: 1848 William, A Wholesale Tanner In Dublin,
Took Up The Lease Of Edmondstown Park (Now Rockbrook Park School). About
20 Years Later He Bought It From The Owner, Mr. Cotton. He Opted Out Of
The Tanning Business And Divided His Time Between Farming And Assisting
His Namesake Son, Who Was A Chemist And Had A Shop In Grafton Street. In
1897 Wm. Junior Set Up Business With Henry Conyngham And R.T.W. Robinson
To Form Hcr. By The Time Hcr Was Sold To Boots In 1998 It Had Become The
Largest Chain Of Retail Pharmacies In Ireland.

No 8.

COURTENAY KENNY CLARKE: In the 1870s his 1,256 acre estate was in the
Barony of Dunmore, Co. Galway, and he lived at Larch Hill, Tibradden
(now the HQ of Scouting Ireland). He died there, aged 70, in 1873. He
was very wealthy and was possibly owner of one of the many mills (12?)
which existed along the banks of the Owendoher River in Rockbrook. The
areas' fine papermill products were famous throughout Europe. The family
donated funds to the Church including the construction of the vestry in
his memory.

No 10.
A window in memory of ELIZABETH RICHARDS (1942-2005) wife of the
current Sexton.

No 14.
Rd. TOWNSEND (1805-1874) was the seventh generation residing in
Myross Wood, Leap, Co. Cork. It is now a Missionaries of the Sacred
Heart Centre and Community Residence.

No 15.
DON TIDEY. American born, former senior executive of Quinnsworth
(now Tesco) expresses deep gratitude for his safe liberation after 23
days, having been kidnapped near his home in Woodtown on Nov. 25 1983.
He was rescued in Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim. A soldier and a trainee
Garda were killed in the operation. The alleged motive was to raise
funds for a terrorist organisation. His first wife, Jan, reposes in the
cemetery. The donated stained glass window depicts the story of Tobias
and the Angel from the Book of Tobit.

No 16.
A stained glass windows by Harry Clarke (1889-1931) in memory of the
named members of the congregation who made the ultimate sacrifice in the
Great War.

No 26.
ROBERT MALCOLM GWYNN (1877-1962). Lecturer and Senior Fellow of
Trinity College Dublin. An uncle of the wife of Archbishop Simms. His
wife, Gertrude (1890-1965) was a G.P. and a tireless worker for the
poor. The work of sculptor Michael Biggs (1928-1993) is featured here.

No 42.
WILLIAM ERNEST NESBITT (d.1978) was co-opted a Director of Arnotts in
October 1917. He put much emphasis on manufacturing. He was part of a
most remarkable history of family dedication to a company. In 1960 they
purchased Boyers of N. Earl Street. Arnotts, formed in 1843, derives its
name from Sir JOHN ARNOTT, a most successful businessman in the mid
1800's. He was an ex- M.P. and three times Lord Mayor of Cork. He was
also involved in Cannocks of Limerick and The Irish Times. (George
Cannock established Arnotts during the Famine). Arnotts was the first
company in the state to install a computer (1966), followed by an
instalment credit system.

No 51.

Rev. BERTRAM WALSH (1921-2008).He was educated in Mountjoy School
and later gained a TCD BA in Mod. Celtic 1944 Languages.He was a Minor
Canon of St. Patrick's College (1947-9),Chaplain and Head of Irish at
St. Columbas College and an Irish Scholar of note. He made regular radio

No 64.
ROBERT TEDCASTLE (1825-1919). Set up his coal merchant business in
the 1850s on the site of the present Trinity Hotel (also Fire Brigade
earlier). He remained there until the 20th century. Evidencing his
success he purchased Marlay House in 1864 where he lived until 1925. His
trading enterprise continues to this day in the form of 'TOP' shops - an
abbreviation of Tedcastle Oil Products. A direct descendant, Rev. Gerald
Tedcastle in Cheshire, regularly visited Whitechurch Parish up to the
present time.

No 69.
 Ven. GEORGE WYNN (1838-1912) Doctor of Divinity. Published much from
1880 onwards.He was a great believer in Esperanto and served as Vicar of
Whitechurch 1864-71. It was hinted that he was more suited to the study
than to the parish!

No 78.
ANNIE M.P. SMITHSON (1873-1948)The noted Irish novelist (21 books),
poet and nationalist was born in Sandymount and lived in England for a
period with her mother and stepfather.She abandoned her ambition to
become a journalist and trained for nursing in London and Edinburgh
before returning to Dublin in 1900. In 1901 she served as district nurse
in Milltown, Co. Down but left there in 1906, abandoning a love affair
she had with a married colleague,Dr.JAMES MANTON.

She became a member of Cumann na mBan and campaigned for Sinn Fein in
the 1918 General Election.After imprisonment in Mullingar in 1922 by
Free State forces,she was rescued and worked until 1929 among the poor
of the Liberties.She was Secretary and organiser of the Irish Nurses
Organisation (1929-42). The first of her 20 novels was published in
1917.She lived at Richmond Hill, Rathmines from 1932 until her death and
was a member of the Old Dublin Society.

Hers is probably the most visited grave in Whitechurch.

No 90.
JAN TIDEY (1941-1980).She was the first wife of Don Tidey (see entry
at 15).

No 92.
PHILIP AUSTIN LOVE (1915-1970) was the last private owner of Marlay
Estate. He had 3 acres of glass houses producing large quantities of
tomatoes. He bred Vincent O'Brien's first British Derby winner Larkspur.
Portion of his Marlay Estate was sold to extend Grange Golf Club. Dublin
County Council acquired Marlay House and grounds in 1974.

No 94A.
Major OWEN CHARLES GUINNESS, OBE (1894-1970).He was a cousin of the
main Guinness line. Educated at Sandhurst he fought in WW1 and was
severely wounded.He became OBE in 1919 and was an Instructor at The
Royal Military College, Sandhurst from 1929-1932,later living at Tibradden.

No 94B.
CHARLES SPENCER GUINNESS (1932-2002) By all accounts, he appears to
have been an out-and-out Parish man. His great, great, great, great,
grandfather was a Kildare man called Arthur Guinness! As the son of an
Army officer he saw many parts of the world before he was three. Charles
went to Aravon prep school in Bray in 1941 where Monk Gibbon taught at
the time. He moved to Winchester Public School in 1945. At Oxford he
read French and German. Later he taught at Eton College for seven years.
He taught both languages at St. Columbas for 25 years from 1972. For 30
years he acted as Hon. Sec. of the Select Vestry, the governing
committee of the parish. He retired in 1997, managed his farm and
continued his charitable work, often unsung for his deeds.

No 142.
JAMES STUBBS (1919-1988). He was another willing parish - work volunteer
and a highly talented auto mechanic with Crawfords of Hatch Street. He
was highly regarded by his customers and local motorists who availed of
his automobile talents, all before "black box" diagnostics arrived.

No 151.

VICTOR MILLINGTON SYNGE (1893-1976) This son of Edward Synge
graduated from Trinity College with a master of Medicine (M.B.),
followed in 1918 by a Master of Obstetrics Arts and later Doctor of
Medicines (M.D.) and 1919 Diploma of PublicHealth (D.P.H.)and Fellow of
Royal College of Physicians in 1921. He lived in Killakee Cottage,
Rockbrook and was a popular teacher and gifted linguist. He was related
to JAMES MILLINGTON SYNGE the playwright, who is buried in Mount Jerome

No 160.
WILLIAM BLACKBURN (1868-1919) Warden of St. Columba's College,
1909-1919. He was the father of Barbara Woodhouse (1910-1988) who was a
well known British dog trainer, author and TV personality, having left
Dublin in 1919.

No 161.

MAY GUINNESS (1863-1955). She was an Irish artist.While being
mainly educated at home, she drew, painted and copied the family
portraits. In later education in Paris where she spent 15 years, she
joined the French Army as a nurse during WWI and received a bravery
award. She was a strong influence on younger Irish artists such as Evie
Hone and Maimie Jellett. Her 'Mardi Gras' oil on canvas is housed in the
Highlanes Gallery, Drogheda.

CHARLES DAVIS built Tibradden House in 1860 for his daughter Mary (May)
and husband, Thomas. She spent all her life there. After her death they
found a number of her works which she was unable to sell. They became
much sought after.

No 165A.
Lady PHYLIS MOORE (1879-1976). She was the wife of Sir Frederick
and being a keen plantswoman herself took a leading part in creating the
impressive garden at Willbrook House which they bought when Sir
Frederick retired from our Botanic Gardens in 1922. Friends recall her
diplomatic way of acquiring a plant she admired: - "Do you think this
plant might have a little brother?"

No 165B.
Sir FREDERICK MOORE (1857-1949),was curator (1879-1922) of the
Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin, his birthplace which became world-famous
during his tenure at the Gardens. Among other collections he had
outstanding orchids. Like his father,

David, he travelled much abroad to private and official botanic gardens
in Britain and the Continent. David Moore (1808-1879) was born in Dundee
and became successor of fellow Scotsman Ninian Niven as curator of the
National Botanic Gardens in 1838. His brother Charles was Director of
the Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney. David did much research on potato
blight when it struck this country in 1845 and developed anti- blight
measures still practiced to this day.

No 175.
ROSA THEKLA JULIE GERTH-NORITZCH (?-1952). Came to Dublin from
Dresden,then in E. Germany, as a childminder. She was unable to return
to her homeland and the Killingley family generously welcomed her back
to her new permanent home.

No 176.
SAMUEL WHITE (1784-1854). Killakee House was built in the early
19th century. Luke White, a millionaire bookseller was its owner and
that of Luttrellstown Estate, Lucan. When he died in 1824 (buried in
Clonsilla) this property passed to Col. Samuel White who was an M.P. for
Co. Leitrim. He lived in Killakee in considerable style on the 3,000
acres, half of which was let out to tenants. The gardens were
spectacularly landscaped and contained many exotic plants. His wife Anne
died in 1880 and is also buried in this cemetery. They had no family.
The estate descended on the female side of the family to Lord Massy who
married Colonel White's youngest sister.

No 200.

WILLIAM and MARGARET HUGHES. (1840-1906, 1841-1927). Built a big
new farmhouse in Rathfarnham calling it Hazelbrook. On the death of
William in 1906 his sons James, George and William took over the family
dairy business continuing to breed 200 shorthorn cattle and selling
'loose' milk. They introduced bottled milk distribution in 1912. A
private limited company was formed in 1924, pioneering pasteurised
bottled milk. In 1926 the first HB Ice Cream was produced to use up
surplus milk. In time Woolworths became its best customer.In 1962 W & R.
Grace of New York bought out Urneys in Tallaght and in 1964 both wings
of the Hazelbrook business. Sadly in 2003 the plant permanently

No 205.
JAMES ANDERSON CARR (1835-1900) Doctor of Law, was Rector of
Whitechurch (1871-1900),and Canon of Christ Church Cathedral. He served
as Editor of the Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette until 1893 (it is now the
longest running weekly under the name "Church of Ireland Gazette.")

No 234.

GERDA FROHMEL SCHURMANN (1931-1975) was a celebrated sculptress who
came to Ireland in 1955 from the present day Czech Republic. Her
daughter Natascha was tragically drowned in 1959, aged 2.

Sadly Gerda herself too was drowned at age of just 44 years in 1975
while on holiday in Co. Mayo. She and her husband Werner, also a
sculptor, had a son in 1960 who became a successful jeweller and

No 259.
CHARLES PARSON REICHEL, D.D. (1816-1894). He was son of a Moravian
minister and had a distinguished academic and ecclesiastical career. The
inscription on the back of his memorial surround is worth reading.

No 264.
W. ROYLANCE.In 1803 Luke White purchased the extensive Killakee
estate (c.3,000 acres) which his son, Samuel, inherited on his death in
1824. When W. Roylance came to work there around 1846 as gardener, he
concentrated on getting the grounds into good shape. Between this and
about 1865 he planted on the sloping grounds below the house (no longer
standing), an abundance of impressive trees including Monkey Puzzles in
avenue formation. This area we now know as Massy's Wood. The adjoining
walled garden now totally neglected bears clear evidence in the
surviving foundations, of a Richard Turner glasshouse.

No 309.
DAVID La TOUCHE (the 3rd) founded the Bank of Ireland 1782. In 1764
he bought Marlay House from Alderman Thomas Taylor a former Lord Mayor
of Dublin. He called it Marlay after his new wife Elizabeth Marlay. She
was a cousin of Henry Grattan. John David La Touche, son of the Bank
founder donated land from Marlay Estate as the site for the New

No 325/6.

JOHN O'NEILL (1769-1843). The original buildings at Larch Hill,
Tibradden, were built as a summerhouse for this wealthy Dublin Merchant
who also had a house at Fitzwilliam Square. He was a Justice of the
Peace for Dublin and Alderman of the City of Dublin. One of his business
projects was the importation of herrings from the Hebrides.

No 330.

Rev. SAUNDERS BARTON (1808-1864) was Perpetual Curate of
Whitechurch for 24 years.

Dublin Archives

Dublin Headstone Index

Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives