Newtownhamilton Civil Parish
County Armagh, Northern Ireland

Civil Parish Newtownhamilton
Barony Fews Upper
Poor Law Union Castleblayney
Catholic Diocese Armagh
Catholic Parish Creggan Lower (Cullyhanna)
Presbyterian Congregation 1st & 2nd Newtownhamilton, Clarkesbridge

 

Search the IGP County Armagh website

 

 

NEWTOWN-HAMILTON, a post-town and parish, in the barony of UPPER FEWS, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 9 miles (S. E.) from Armagh, and 52 1/4 (N. by W.) from Dublin; containing 7253 inhabitants, of which number, 1020 are in the town. This place, which is situated on the roads leading respectively from Dundalk to Armagh, and from Newry to Castle-Blayney and Monaghan, in the midst of the Fews mountains, owes its origin and importance to the late Mr. Hamilton, who laid the foundation of the present town about the year 1770, previously to which time, the whole district was a dreary, wild, and uninhabited waste. About the beginning of the last century, an attempt was made to establish a town at Blackbank, and a castle was erected for the protection of the new settlers; but the undertaking failed, and soon after an attempt was made for the same purpose at Johnston Fews, which resulted only in the erection of a few mud cabins. After the failure of both enterprises, Government erected barracks at those places, and troops were regularly stationed there till the establishment of the present town, when they were removed to this place; the ruins of the castle and barracks of Blackbank, and also of those of Johnston, within a few miles of this town, are still remaining. The whole face of this extensive district was completely changed after the establishment of the town; the lands were rapidly brought into cultivation, several roads were opened, and great numbers of persons were induced to settle here under the advantageous leases granted by Mr. Hamilton; the town gradually increased in extent and importance, and the surrounding district was erected into a parish by Primate Robinson, who severed it from the parish of Creggan, built a church, and endowed the living. The present town contains about 60 houses, many of which are large and well built of hewn stone and roofed with slate found in the parish; it has a sub-post-office to Castle-Blayney and Newry. There is a large market every Saturday for provisions; and fairs are held on the last Saturday in every month for cattle, horses, pigs, and butter, and are numerously attended. A constabulary police force is stationed here; also a body of the revenue police, since the establishment of which, the depot for two companies of the regiments stationed at Armagh, which were quartered in this town, has been broken up and the military withdrawn. Petty sessions are held on alternate Fridays; there is an excellent court-house, in which the quarter sessions for the county were held till 1826, since which time they have been removed. Near the town were formerly mills for smelting lead ore, which continued in operation so long as wood lasted for fuel.

The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 12,404 1/2 statute acres, of which 10,397 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 6320 per annum. The land in some parts is very good, but better adapted for oats than for wheat; the soil is light and friable, and the system of agriculture improving. There is abundance of bog for fuel; stone of good quality for building is extensively quarried; there are some quarries of excellent slate, not now worked; and in the mountain district is lead ore of rich quality, which might be worked with advantage. There are many good houses in the parish, of which the principal is Harrymount, the residence of Henry Barker, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate: the tithes amount to 537. 18. 7. The glebe-house, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of 100, is a handsome residence; it was built under the old acts in, 1806, at the cost of 592 British, defrayed by the above grant and by 500 supplied out of the private funds of the then incumbent: in 1830 the sum of 316 was expended on improvements. The glebe comprises 31 acres of arable land, valued at 38. 15. per annum. The church, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted 106, is a plain edifice, erected by Primate Robinson, in 1775, out of funds provided by the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Lower Creggan: the chapel, in the town, is a spacious and handsome edifice. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the first class; and there are two for those in connection with the Seceding Synod, both also of the first class. A school in the town is supported from the funds of Erasmus Smith, under the patronage of the Lord-Primate; a parochial school is supported by the rector; and a school, built on his own estate, is supported by W. McGeough Bond, Esq. There are also five private schools, in which are about 180 children. There are some remains of an extensive encampment at Clogh-a-mether, said to have been the chief residence of O'Nial of Ulster, between whom and Baldragh, Prince of Louth, a battle is said to have taken place near the town. In this fort, which is nearly two miles in circuit, the army of Cromwell encamped in the winter of 1645, and was severely harassed by the Irish forces, who hemmed them in on every side, and cutting off their supplies, reduced them to such distress that many perished through hunger.
Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837

 

Do you have a description of this civil parish or a picture?  If you send it/them, I will put it/them in this space.

 

 

 

Townlands

  Altnamackan Mullaghduff
  Ballynarea Newtown Hamilton Town
  Camly (Ball) Roxborough
  Camly (Macullaugh) Skerriff (Tichburn)
  Carrickacullion Skerriff (Trueman)
  Carrickrovaddy Tullyogallaghan
  Cortamlat Tullyvallan
  Dorsy (Cavan O'Hanlon) Tullyvallan (Hamilton) East
  Dorsy (Hearty) Tullyvallan (Hamilton) West
  Dorsy (Macdonald) Tullyvallan (Macullagh)
  Dorsy (Mullaghglass) Tullyvallan (Tipping) East
  Drumaltnamuck Tullyvallan (Tipping) West
  Kiltybane Ummerinvore
  Lisleitrim  

 

Family History Library Film Numbers

Film Title Film number(s)
Tithe Applotments, 1830 #258466
Griffith's Valuation, 1864 #258751
Parochial registers of Creggan Lower RC Parish:  Baptisms, 1854-1880; and marriages, 1845-1881 #926034
Parochial registers of Creggan Lower RC Parish:  Baptisms, 1845-1880; and marriages, 1845-1881 979710
1901 Ireland Census, D.E.D. 40/1-8; 41/6-12 1901 D.E.D. 42/2-8 #812091
1901 Ireland Census, D.E.D. 43(2)/1-6; 43(1)/1 #812092
1911 Ireland Census,  1911 Camly D.E.D. 42/1-6 Townlands: Camly (Ball), Camly (Macullagh), Carrickacullion, Dorsy (Cavan Hanlan or Roxborough), Dorsy (Hearty), Dorsy (McDonald or Carrickrovaddy) #1999994
1911 Ireland Census, Camly D.E.D. 42/7-8 Townlands: Dorsy (Mullaghglass) Drumaltnamuck;  Dorsy D.E.D. 43/6-12 Townlands: Tullogallaghan, Tullyvallan East (Hamilton), Tullyvallan West (Hamilton), Tullyvallan (Macullagh), Tullyvallan East (Tipping), Tullyvallan West (Tipping), Ummerinvore #1999995
1911 Ireland Census, Lisleitrim D.E.D. 44/2-8 Townlands: Altnamackan, Ballynarea, Cortamlat, Kiltybane or Lisleitrim, Mullaghduff, Skerriff (Tichburn), Skerriff (Trueman) #1999996
1911 Ireland Census, Newtownhamilton D.E.D. 45/1-2 (1-3) Townlands: Tullyvallan, Newtownhamilton Town #1999997
1911 Ireland Census, Newtownhamilton D.E.D. 45/2 (4-7) Newtownhamilton Town (cont.) FHL BRITISH Film
1999998
#1999998

(before ordering films, check # for accuracy)

 

SURNAME CONTACT
To add your surname Email IGP County Armagh

 

Civil Parish Links

Tithe Applotments, Newhamilton Civil Parish, ConnorsGenealogy website
Griffith's Valuation Index, Newhamilton Civil Parish, John Hayes' website
1901 Ireland Census, Camly DED, Archives of Ireland website
1901 Ireland Census, Lisleitrim DED, Archives of Ireland website
1901 Ireland Census, Newtownhamilton DED, Archives of Ireland website
1911 Ireland Census, Camly DED, Archives of Ireland website
1911 Ireland Census, Lisleitrim DED, Archives of Ireland website
1911 Ireland Census, Newtownhamilton DED, Archives of Ireland website
Newtownhamilton, Wikipedia website
Newtownhamilton Churches, South Armagh Genealogy Project website
Townlands of Newtownhamilton, Creggan History Society website
Add your links, send an email describing link and don't forget the URL

 

 

Information to be added:
     Description of civil parish
     Maps
     Churches
     History
     Pictures
     Records
     Travel
     Links
     etc. etc. etc.

 

Your help is needed.  If you have anything that you think will add to this website, including records, that will help others when researching this civil parish's genealogy, please email me.

 

Back to the County Armagh Land Divisions website....

 

Back to the County Armagh website....

 

 


2001-2010ConnorsGenealogy, Ireland Genealogical Projects
last updated August 17, 2010