Miscellaneous: Extracts from Police Reports 1845-1846
Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
Tipperary Index
Contributed by Mary Heaphy


EXTRACTS made by Colonel M'Gregor from the Police Reports,
stating the Particulars of the Principal Homicides in Ireland in
the Years 1845 and 1846, and forwarded to the Home Office by him.
Ordered, by The House of Commons, to be Printed, 2 April 1846.

27 January.- RYAN, JOHN (County Tipperary).
A FARMER; was about to propose for land, the property of Mr.
PHILIPS, of Mount Rivers. There had in this case been no
compulsory ejectment or rigorous exaction of rights. The
occupier, it is said, voluntarily resigned one-half of the farm,
alleging his inability to hold the entire, and continued to
retain the other half. The deceased, represented to be of
respectable character, of some substance, and a native of the
place, made no secret of his intention to propose for the
unoccupied land, and had no apprehension of consequences. On his
way, however, to the proprietor, he was assailed by two men
(strangers to himself), one of whom pulled him from his horse,
and fractured his head with a stone. He survived only a few days.
Two persons were taken in custody on strong suspicion; but the
injured man, evidently fearing the consequences to his family,
would make no disclosures tending to their identification.

18 January.- SMITH, SAMUEL, Esq. (County Tipperary).
The attention of a resident of Borrisofarney having been
attracted by a horse passing his door without a rider, he
discovered at about 80 yards distant, on the road, the body of
Mr. SMITH, the scull broken in two places, and the brain
protruding. At the inquest held the medical examiners were of
opinion that the injuries could not have been received by falling
from the horse, nor did the dress of the deceased exhibit any
appearance of his having been dragged along the road. Hopes were
entertained of the discovery of the assassins, as a soldier of
the 69th regiment swore that he witnessed the perpetration of the
murder by four persons, whom he pretended to identify, but he
afterwards deserted, and there is no doubt of his perjury. The
deceased, who was a resident of Dublin, had been visiting some of
his tenants, and was returning to Busherstowne, whence he had
come that morning. It is understood that he was about
dispossessing two persons of a farm, which was to be given to

12 March.--DWYER, DENIS (County Tipperary, South).
The brother of this man, JOHN DWYER, of Listowran, had taken a
farm at Glenbairn, from which the former tenant had been ejected.
The Dwyers, with about 15 men, had been ploughing on this land,
and were returning home about 7 P.M., when they were attacked by
30, or 40 persons with stones. Several were more or less injured,
but Denis received a fracture of the scull, of which, after a few
days, he died. The assailants also broke and injured some of the
farming implements; one individual only was identified, and he
alleged that the Dwyers were the aggressors; but it clearly
appeared at the inquest that such was not the case.

2 April.- RYAN, JAMES (South Tipperary).
Was shot dead by his brother JOHN. On the death of their father
JOHN had received a sum of money in lieu of his share of the
land. Having proceeded to America and spent his money, he
returned, claiming his portion of land; of course it was refused,
and the ill-feeling arising in consequence induced the commission
of this murder. The perpetrator has absconded.

4 May.- WATERS, JOHN (County Tipperary).
Had been in the employment of HENRY GOING, Esq. of Riverlawn, and
was a stranger at the place. As he was returning to his master's
residence with a man named CORRIGAN (whose services as ploughman
were likely to be superseded by those of Waters), several men
armed with bludgeons, according to the statement of Corrigan,
leaped off the road into the grove. Corrigan says he ran away,
and looking back, saw the party strike Waters to the ground, and
that on returning shortly after, he found WATERS speechless. He
did not report the circumstance immediately on his arrival at the
house, and his conduct being suspicious, he was taken into
custody, and committed for examination.

24 May–KENNELLY, JOHN (County Tipperary).
A certain man had received a portion of land with his wife, as
her fortune, on condition of his paying a sum of money to her
relatives. The wife died soon after, and the man married again;
the friends of the deceased wife then wanted to recover
possession of the land, which was refused; but the man was
several times assaulted and ultimately compelled to quit the land
and the neighbourhood. A feud was thus created between the
friends of the first and second wife. As a party of the former
were returning from the market of Roscrea to Moneygall, they were
waylaid and assaulted with stones by some of the latter, and
several serious injuries were inflicted. JOHN KENNELLY, belonging
to neither party, who happened also to be returning from the
market, endeavoured to interpose as a peace-maker, when he was
knocked down, and the back of his scull fractured by a blow of a
stone on the side of the head. On the matter being made known to
the police, the injured persons were visited, but no information
could be obtained from them; some of the persons implicated were,
however, arrested. KENNELLY died in about a week.

26 June.- LANDRIGAN, JOHN. Twelve months ago a man was murdered on
the mountains off Nine-mile House, near Carrick-on-Suir, and the
friends of the murdered man prosecuted. A woman related to the
prosecutors was married to a publican named EGAN, who owned a
tent, erected on the racecourse of Ballina. On the evening of the
day stated above, a party of 12 or 15 men entered the tent, and
grievously assaulted Egan and his servant Landrigan with stones.
On the following day the matter came to the knowledge of the
police, who proceeded to the tent, and found EGAN pursuing his
usual avocations, complaining but little of his injuries,
unwilling to afford any information on the subject, and totally
denying any knowledge of the assailants, At that time, and for a
day or two after, EGAN suppressed all reference to the case of
Landrigan, and it was not until the latter was speechless and
past recovery that EGAN apprised the police of his condition.
Landrigan died that day, and Egan became so ill that his recovery
for a while was doubtful. Although several persons confidently
believed to have been concerned in this outrage were arrested,
the witnesses examined at the inquest were evidently determined
on screening the perpetrators, and the prisoners were necessarily
dis charged for want of evidence.

CLARKE, PATRICK, Esq., of South Hill, near Nenagh, (County
This gentleman was shot dead by two men while riding round his
own demesne, superintending his workmen. It appears that Mr. C.
several years ago had purchased the estate in question, but had
never, until recently, resided there. Having been induced to
visit the place and prolong his stay, he had discovered that, in
his absence, he had been subject to a system of fraud on the part
of his tenantry, which he had determined to check and put down.
No sooner was this intention discovered, than attempts were made,
by threatening letters (the receipt of which he kept a profound
secret), to get him to remove from the place, to which
intimidation he did not yield, persevering in his system of
enforcing the payment of old arrears by his tenantry. If these
circumstances were not the sole cause of the murder, they, at all
events, rendered the perpetration of it safer and easier. It is
by some thought that the immediate cause arose out of a dispute
between two of the steward's sons, to whom the father had given
up his land, and one of whom, on getting married, Mr. CLARKE
insisted should quit, with a sum of money (not willing that both
should remain). Suspicion fell on this man and another
malcontent, who had been compelled to pay arrears, as the
immediate conspirators of the murder. In connexion with the cause
of the murder endeavours are made, in some quarters, to represent
the deceased as a rigorous landlord, of hasty and tyrannical
disposition; but these statements are not borne out. Of the two
men believed to be the actual assassins, one is in custody, and
information has been received strongly implicating others as co-

MOLONY, PATRICK (County Tipperary).
The brother of the deceased had taken a few acres of land some
years ago, from which the former tenant had been ejected; he had
been (previously to this murder) served with a threatening notice
to quit. As deceased sat with his brother, in the evening, four
men entered the house; two of them, presenting a pistol each at
the brothers, demanded why they did not obey the notice: one of
them struck the deceased on the head, breaking his scull, which
he did not long survive. The former tenant, above referred to
(who is a relative), is suspected, but sufficient evidence has
not yet been obtained to warrant his detention.

HOGAN, JOHN (County Tipperary).
This man was probably murdered instead of his brother (DARBY),
who had been for some time obnoxious. The deceased had taken
land. His assassins are unknown. He received three shots in the
body, and other injuries, which caused immediate death.

17 January.- PATRICK MURPHY (County Tipperary).
Was fired at as he entered his own residence, by one of three
men. He had been employed as keeper on a property seized for
rent. The supposed offenders are in custody.

Shinrone, King's County, 4 November 1845.
I beg to state, that on the night of the 1st instant, in the
barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, as J HOGAN, of Killeen,
was returning to his house, he was fired at from behind a hedge,
where three men were concealed until HOGAN came close to them;
the shot took no effect, and the party fled. This MICHAEL HOGAN'S
brother had given evidence in the case of Dr. and Mrs. HOBBS,
which is deemed the cause of this attack on the brother.
(signed) JOHN KELLY, R. M.
179. A 3

Nenagh, 2 December 1845.
I have to report, that at half-past 7 o'clock, P.M., on 1st
instant, as JAMES HENZY, steward to Mrs. BENNETT, of Moneaguil,
was sitting at dinner in the kitchen in Mrs. BENNETT'S house, he
was fired at through a small opening in the shutter of a front
window, while in the act of putting his hand to his mouth, and
wounded in the hand; the ball having entered near the thumb and
passing out at the wrist. The ball was found on the kitchen-
floor. There are two sub constables for the protection of this
man stationed in Mrs. BENNETT'S yard, and who, on hearing the
report of a shot, at once endeavoured to get out, but had some
delay in consequence of the doors and gates being secured for the
night. The police got out as soon as they possibly could, but
could find no trace of the person who fired the shot, it being
very dark at the time. The Amaghanedy party being on patrol,
heard the shot, and came up immediately, and on being informed of
the occurrence, searched several suspected houses without finding
any stranger in the neighbourhood. I brought HENZY this day
before Captain POLLOCK for examination: he was attacked on the
18th September 1844, and again on the 3d of May last; on both
occasions his assailants were arrested and identified; he,
however, pretended not to know the parties when on trial, though
having previously sworn positively as to their identity. The
consequence was that the Crown had to turn the men out of the
dock. It appears that a young lady, who is on a visit with Mrs.
BENNETT, observed on Friday night last a man lying on the grass-
plot opposite the hall-door, and saw him go to look through the
kitchen window, which having told to Mrs. BENNETT and HENZY, it
is strange that fact was not mentioned to the police. Captain
POLLOCK approves of the reward suggested.

Newport, 8 December 1845.
I have to report that constable PATRICK O'HARA, and sub-
MULLOONEY, and ANTHONY CULLEN, of the Clonlough station, were on
patrol in the neighbourhood of Ballinahinch, about 7 P.M. last
night, when they were fired on by a party of Rockites, about
eight in number, who no doubt lay in wait for them; the police
(four of whom were loaded) returned the fire, but cannot say with
what degree of effect. The Rockites' fire, I am sorry to say,
told on sub-constable CULLEN; he is severely wounded in both
arms. The ball, which passed through the left and lodged in the
right arm, near the elbow (but not in the joint), has been
extracted by Dr. CAREY, of this town, who was immediately in
attendance. The police took but one prisoner and one stand of
arms (a pistol); the prisoner is a young man about 18 years old,
a servant boy of a farmer; the police detected him giving the
signal to the Rockites to rush from their hiding place, near a
house where the constable O'HARA states he called to receive some
information about unregistered arms, and a party whom they met on
patrol the Friday before, and whom they suspected to have been
firing shots and disturbing that neighbour hood, but found no
arms with them. One fellow on this occasion, on being searched by
the police, attempted to wrest the carbine from sub-constable
YOUNG, whom they have summoned for obstructing them in the
discharge of their duty, by order of the magistrates. On being
apprised of the occurrence, about 8 P.M. last night, I
immediately proceeded to the scene of conflict, accompanied by
head constable WASS and constable O'HARA, and a reinforcement
from this, and being pointed out the direction the armed party
had taken, we followed after, when the head constable observed a
long gun lying on a field near the scene. We then proceeded to
search many suspected places, but could discover no trace of any
wounded man; a Caroline hat has also been found; there is a fresh
party now in pursuit in other localities. I will, of course,
after further inquiry is made into this serious affair, make a
further report. I have had no time to consult the magistrates in
person as to the offer of a reward, but I think there are
sufficient grounds for 100 l., as the attack was a most murderous
one. -
Inspector-general, (signed) J. Lewis, S. I.

Earl's-Hill Colliery, Barony of Slievardagh, County Tipperary.
The Board of Directors of the Mining Company of Ireland hereby
gives notice to all whom it may concern, that the company's works
at Earl's-hill Colliery will be suspended on Saturday, the 20th
of December next, or the earliest day admissible, under existing
contracts. The Board has been reluctantly impelled to adopt this
course by the outrages and threats to which the company's
stewards, MARTIN MORRIS and others, have been subjected with
impunity, notwithstanding large rewards offered for information,
which might lead to the punishment of the offenders, and by the
threatening notices subsequently served on those well-disposed
workmen who are desirous to work under the Company, and earn
support for themselves and families, but whose lives are too
highly valued by the Board to be risked by continuance of the
works, until sufficient protection can be afforded to them.
By order of the Board of Directors.

Dublin, 26 November 1845. - RICHARD PURDY, Secretary. Sir, Kyle
Park, Borrisokane, 9th December.
It is my principal duty to state to you for the information of
His Excellency the Lord-lieutenant, that at dusk last evening a
farmer named JOHN HOGAN, residing at Ballinderry, was shot dead
close to his own house; three or four shots were discharged at
him, so close as to set his clothes on fire, and his body
perforated in every part with balls. The cause assigned is, that
he had taken an acre of land joining his farm from whence a
neighbour had been dispossessed. The townland is part of Mr.
FRAZER'S property, which has been heretofore fruitful in crime;
the murdered man was brother to DARBY and MICHAEL HOGAN, both of
whom have been fired at, the one in February last, the others a
few weeks ago; they have police protection by my recommendation,
two men being furnished on alternate days from two neighbouring
stations, a plan that I now see works badly, for the draught
renders it nearly inoperative for other duties. I would therefore
advise that two men be stationed permanently at HOGAN'S. I have
mentioned this to the police officer, and it meets his approval.

District of Carrick-on-Suir, Barony of Slievardagh, Parish of
Townland of Garrymorris, 19 January 1846.
I have to state, that on the evening of the 17th instant, about
the hour of 6 o'clock, as ROBERT MURPHY of the above place was
entering his house, he was fired at by one of three men who stood
at a small fence opposite the door; the ball entered under his
left breast, and passed into his body, from the effects of which
he now lies dangerously ill, and no hopes of his recovery. MURPHY
was employed with another man as keeper on the property of
RICHARD DUNN of Coolarkin (the next townland) seized for rent due
of him. I visited MURPHY on the night of the occurrence at one
o'clock, bringing with me a medical man and six police on two
cars. Previous to my arrival, he had given the names and
description of three persons whom he said he saw when the shot
was fired at him, to Constable UNIACK of the Glenburn Post, who
instantly proceeded with his party and arrested them.
(signed) RICHARD ROCHE, S. I., 1st Rate.

Newport, 21 January 1846.
I have to report that on the night of the 20th instant, about 6
P.M., at Cally, in the parish Kilemaratty, as Mr. ALFRED WALLER
was returning to his residence, and alone, he was waylaid in a
field by four men, who severely assaulted him on the head and
arms with bludgeons and stones, inflicting two severe cuts on his
head, and dreadful contusions on the left arm, which fractured
one of the bones below the elbow. I visited Mr. WALLER
immediately after being apprised of the occurrence, and after
first making search in the houses of suspected per sons, but
could discover nothing that could enable me to attach guilt to
the inmates; Mr. WALLER himself states that he could not identify
any of the persons who attacked him, nor did he at the moment
discover any fire-arms with them. It is, however, pretty evident
that they had fire-arms, and must have assaulted him with them,
inasmuch as a small part of the stock of a gun or pistol had been
found on the spot this morning; Mr. WALLER himself was armed with
a pistol at the time, which he endeavoured to pull from his
pocket, but from the hurry of the moment could not do so
effectually until he was knocked down; he, however, while down,
got out the pistol, which he discharged at his assailants, but
with what effect it is hard to say; I fear with none on his
assailants; it, nevertheless, attracted the notice of some
persons who were on the road, and who ran towards where they
heard the explosion, and, it is supposed, caused the offenders to
fly before they could effect their purpose, if it was to murder.'
I have this day reported the occurrence to the next magistrate,
H. LEE, Esq., who is of an opinion that a serious outrage had
been committed, and that a reward of 50 l., at least, should be
offered for the discovery and conviction of the perpetrators. A
few acres of land (3 which Mr. WALLER had at his disposal was the
cause, inasmuch as his assailants, while beating him, desired him
"give up Coona, give up Coona" (the name of the little townland
which persons of the name KEEFFE pretended to have a claim to).
Mr. WALLER'S life is not considered in any imminent danger. -
J LEWIS, S. I., 2d Rate.

Nenagh, 2 February 1846.
On yesterday, as Mrs. BENNETT, of Moneyguil, was driving to
Ballinaclough Church, she was stopped on the road by two men, one
armed with a pistol, and the other with a wattle, and ordered her
to put away two of her men, HENZY and FEEHALLY. On her asking
them what they had done, they snapped the pistol twice at her,
and gave her three blows of the wattle, which severely injured
her arms. HENZY, who they ordered to be turned away, has been
repeatedly attacked within the last few years; and who is the
same man who, a short time since, was fired at through the window
at Moneyguil House, while eating his supper, and wounded in the
arm with a ball, although there were two men stationed in the
house for his protection. Finding no threats could intimidate
him, and that it is difficult to get at him in consequence of the
presence of the police, they have resorted to this cowardly
attack on an old lady nearly blind, and against whom they have no
complaint, but for keeping men in her employment who she
considers faithful. I do not particularly mention this case on
account of the amount of injury done, as Mrs. BENNETT has not
received any serious injury, and she thinks herself the pistol
was not loaded, and only snapped to intimidate her; but it
clearly proves to what a state of inhuman barbarity many of the
people of this county are reduced, when they could thus assault a
feeble old lady while on her way to church. With what endless
perseverance they follow up their designs when once formed, and
another of the numerous instances that it is not the rights of
property they alone attempt to put an end to, but all right to
the freedom of action, or even judgment.
(signed) JOS. TABUTEDU, R.M.