Obits: Murray, John December 30, 1936

Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
Mayo Index


File contributed by: Thomas Sadler 
February 5, 2009, 12:20 pm


Ballina or Mayo Newspaper, Feb. 1937

Six weeks ago, John Murray, a native of Carrowdoogan, 
Attymass, Co. Mayo died in Chicago, U.S.A. at the age of 55. 
 On Wednesday night of last week, his reamins enclosed in a 
beautiful casket, which in turn, was encased in a 
magnificent frame, arrived in Ballina railway station to be 
received by his sorrowing widow, children and relatives.

It had been Mrs. Murray's wish that her husband's remains 
should be interred in Kileen cemetery, the family burial 
ground and in accordance with this wish, the body was 
embalmed immediately after death, placed in a casket, the 
interior of which was sealed with lead and the casket then 
placed in an oaken case, eight feet long.  It was then 
dispatched to Ireland via a White Star liner.

The widow of the deceased whose maiden name was Kneafsey, of 
Carrowkerribly, has been living on her farm in Carrowdoogan, 
Attymass for some years with her two children, while her 
husband, up to his death worked in Chicago.

CROWD AWAIT REMAINS A large throng of people awaited the 
arrival of the remains at Ballina railway station, and, as 
the remains were conveyed from the train to the hearse, 
crowds pressed forward to catch a glimpse of the casket.  
The funeral which left Ballina for Attymass Church was one 
of the largest witnessed in the town for many years.

THE CASKET OPENED At Attymass Chapel the widow, her two 
children and sisters (Mrs. King, Killala Road, Culleens, 
Mrs. Barrett, and Mrs. Gallagher, Attymass, Mrs. Loftus, 
(Castleconnor) were permitted to view the corpse.  The oak 
case and casket were opened by Mr. P. Melody, the 
undertaker, and the face of the deceased lay revealed.  
Although dead for several weeks, the body, owing to the 
perfect embalming, did not appear wasted, the countenance 
resembling that of a sleeping man rather than a dead person.

Following High Mass de Requiem at Attymass Church on 
Thursday morning, the remains were borne to Killeen cemetery 
on the shoulders of young men of the parish of Attymass who 
were wearing white sashes.

Rev. Father Jordan officiated at the graveside, reading the 
last prayers.  The funeral was the largest witnessed in the 
parish for many years, over thirty cars followed the hearse.

The transportation of the remains from Chicago cost over 100 
pounds.  END QUOTE

At the time of his death John had two living children 
Winifred and John and a deceased daughter Veronica who died 
in 1935 at age 11.

Following Death Notice appeared in the Chicago Tribune, 1 
January 1937, p. 22 MURRAY--John J. Murray of 4448 N. Racine 
avenue, beloved husband of Beatrice (nee Kneasy), fond 
father of Winifred, John, the late Veronica, uncle of Parick 
Barrett and Mary Sadler, Native of Attymass, Co. Mayo, 
Visitation at the chapel 1716 W. 63rd Street.

Additional Comments: The above newspaper clipping was found 
in the personal papers of my Mother, Mary Agnes (Barrett) 
Sadler.   Her Uncle John Murray was a very special person in 
her life.  He registered her birth of 12 November 1909, in 
January 1910 at Ballina.  He was also her sponsor and mentor 
when she immigrated to the U.S., Chicago, at age 17 in 1926.

John was Baptised on 25 May 1888, in the parish of Attymass. 
 Sponsors were Pat Naughton and Mary Ferguson.  Source:  
North Mayo Family History Center.

John immigrated to the U.S. on 9 June 1912, from Queenstown, 
aboard the S.S. Lusiania arriving in the port of New York on 
15 June 1912.  He was enroute to his sister Mary Murray who 
was living in Evanston, Illinois.

John moved to Chicago and worked there.  He registered for 
the World War I Draft on 5 June 1917.  At the time of this 
registration John was an Elevator Starter at the Drake 

He was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1918 and served in 
France from August, 1918 to June 1919, when he was 

He became a U.S. citizen while serving at Camp McClellan, 

John applied for a U.S. Passport on 15 March 1920, for the 
purpose of returning to see his Mother Bridget Murray, 
Carrowdoogan. He sailed onboard the S.S. Boratina on 15 May 

He subsequently married Beatrice Kneafsey, Carrowikerribly, 
Mayo, in early 1923.

He and his wife returned to the U.S. aboard the S.S. 
Carmania in September, 1923.  They went onto Chicago where 
they lived.  

John stayed and worked in Chicago while his wife returned to 
Ireland to live on a farm they purchased and raise their