Newspaper: Abstracts with mention of Limerick, The Times

Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
Limerick Index


File contributed by:  C.L.


The Times; London, Middlesex, England; 


     Last Tuesday night, Edward Riordan, a very bonefit, 
industrious farmer, who lived near Cullen, has his throat 
cut, and his brains beat out, by a party of those nefarious 
miscreants who have long infested that part of the country.
     On the same night and in the same neighbourhood, Edmond 
English was ham-strung with scythes; Michael Ryan was so cut 
on the head that his life is despaired of, and four others, 
the same night were so maimed by cutting their back sinews, 
as to disqualify them from any sort of labour. From the 
suspension of the late sentences of Courts-martial, it is 
apprehended that these abominable wretches entertain an idea 
that they will escape that condign punishment so loudly 
called for by their barbarous and unexampled cruelties.
     On Thursday night last a banditti supposed to amount to 
about 60, mounted on horseback, went to the house of Thomas 
Lynch, of Cunigar, in the liberties of this city, an 
industrious farmer, dragged him and his son out of bed, and 
flogged them unmercifully with cutting whips; the crime for 
which this punishment had been inflicted was, for Lynch 
having turned off a dairy- man. The same party, it is 
supposed, went to the house of James Coghlan, of Lisenulta, 
and whipped him in like manner; other dairy-men, whose names 
we have been requested not to mention, were also whipped on 
the same night.

The Times; London, Middlesex, England; August 21, 1816

[From the Irish Papers]

	The case of Thomas Burke, and his two confederates, 
Michael Hehir and Henry Evans, who were executed on Monday 
for the murder of Thomas and Margaret Dillon, at Moyle, in 
this county, was one of peculiar atrocity. Eight men more 
remained to be tried on Monday for the same crime, against 
the greater portion of whom the evidence was presumed to be 
conclusive. On Saturday the counsel for the Crown paused in 
their proceedings. Three lives had already been forfeited, 
and they thought the work of blood might cease, and that the 
examples thus set would be sufficient to operate as a 
prevention of future crimes. They consulted the Grand Jury, 
but it was the unanimous desire of that body that the trials 
should proceed, and that the law should take its course. A 
riotous assemblage took place within a few miles of Limerick 
on the night preceding the expressed intention of the 
counsel for the Crown not to go farther in prosecuting the 
murderers of Dillon and his wife, in consequence of which 
one of the party lost his life. This transaction, which 
occurred while the Judges of the land were administering the 
law, seemed to justify the determination of the Grand Jury, 
in which the Crown lawyers acquiesced, and the trials of the 
eight men were to have proceeded in on Monday.
	An application has been made since to postpone the 
trials of these eight individuals until the next assizes, on 
the ground of their Counsel being hastily obliged to leave 
town in consequence of the illness of one of his family. 
Sergeant Johnston humanely attended to the application but 
desired that they might be prepared for trial on the 16th of 
September, at which time he intends to return; and ordered 
the present grand and other Juries to be in attendance on 
that day.
	The principal witness in these cases is a child of 14 
years old, the daughter of the two murdered persons. The 
following is a statement of the testimony she gave on the 
trial of Burke and his two associates.-
	She deposed that she was 14 years old, her father's name 
was Tom Dillon, and her mother's Peg Wall; they lived in 
Castletown-Waller. She knew, and had always known, Tom 
Burke, who lived at Pallas-Kenry, within about a mile of her 
father's house. (Here she was asked if she saw any body in 
Court she knew. She turned round and identified Bourke.) She 
remembered she said, the night the people came to her 
father's house; the family were in bed, her father asleep, 
and herself and her mother awake, they heard a rapping and 
her mother woke her father; he got up, and took a bayonet 
that was near the bed, and went towards the kitchen, when he 
found the door dragged out on the road with a sledge; he 
then ran back to the bed- room, shut the door, and put his 
back against it, when they fired through it from the 
outside, and he fell back dead on the bed where her little 
sister lay. There was a partition in the room, and when the 
rapping first came at the door, her mother shook hands with 
her, put her upon the partition, desiring her to mind her 
brother and sister, and to watch these people, as they had 
come to murder her father and herself. When her father was 
killed, the people broke into the bed-room, in a corner of 
which her mother was, with an infant in her arms, the 
witness's little sister in bed, and herself concealed on the 
partition. They called to her mother to go out, she did, 
saying, "Lord have mercy on my soul!" to which they replied, 
"My good lady, you had no mercy when you were giving 
evidence on the Bench." When her mother went out, the 
witness came down from the partition, and followed her, the 
people took her out on the road, and the witness went to the 
kitchen window. They were crying out, "Stick her and shoot 
her," and  she saw the prisoner put a gun up to her mouth, 
and fire into it. They had at this time taken the child from 
her, and were holding her up at each side when the shot was 
fired. They then put her down on the ground, and stabbed her 
in both breasts, after which they put her near a wall. The 
witness was here asked how she knew any one as it was night? 
"Any one would know them," said she; "it was moonlight, and 
some sods of turf, which I put down before my mother and 
myself went to bed, were blazing on the hearth." When they 
put her mother near the wall, two men came into the house, 
when she ran into the room where the pig was; the men took 
out her father, and soon after two men came in and asked her 
little sister for the bayonet. It was in a potatoe barrel 
near the bed, and gave it to a man who wore white trowsers. 
They said they would not hurt her, and went away shouting. 
Witness came from her hiding place and again went to the 
window and while there, the men returned, and one said, "the 
devil would not kill the dog; and one of them took up a big 
stone, and broke his face with it. They then went away, 
'twas on a Friday night, and on the following Sunday, her 
father and mother were buried; she staid in the house in the 
mean time, and "I gave the pot to my aunt," (said this 
interesting poor creature) "for it was she who sewed my 
father's mouth" All the people in the neighbourhood refused 
to let her in, desired her "to go to the devil, " in 
consequence of which she went away with her aunt, with whom 
she slept on Sunday night, and was next day taken away by 
the Rev. Mr. Westropp, where she remained several weeks, and 
was from thence removed to the poor- house, and finally to 
the gaol, from whence she was now brought to give evidence.

	During our Assizes here, which have not yet closed, 
three men were found guilty and passed by our door this 
morning to be hung, for a murder committed near a year ago 
about nine miles off, of a man and wife. He had taken a 
house contrary to the will of the country people;  a party 
went to his house, and beat him for taking it, on which he 
informed a neighbouring Magistrate, when, shortly after, 
about 40 entered the village where the man lived, and after 
placing two men as guards on each house in the village, they 
attacked his house, and murdered him and his wife in a most 
shocking manner, stabbing the woman first in different parts 
of her body, to make her put away an infant she held in her 
arms to save her from their fury; a daughter about 15 
escaped, and the infant. They said they had no ill-will to 
the man, but killed him to prevent others acting as he did. 
A man who lived next door to the unfortunate family, some 
time after got so uneasy in his mind, he could not rest till 
he discovered the matter, by which means it was found out, 
after being concealed perhaps for months. They were all 
Roman Catholics.
The Times; London, Middlesex, England; September 26, 1816

(From the Irish Papers)

LIMERICK, Sept. 18

	This morning, Patrick Scanlan and Patrick Burns, in 
pursuance of sentence, on Monday, were executed at 
Gallows-green, near this city. After hanging the usual time, 
their bodies were brought to the Infirmary for dissection. 
To-morrow, Sheehy and Evans are to undergo a similar 
	John Tourney, who was convicted on Saturday at the 
sessions, under the insurrection act, is to be sent off to 
Cork, on Saturday, for embarkation.

Tuesday, Second Day

	This day Bryan Sheehy and Henry Evans, concerned in the 
above murders, were tried and convicted on the came clear 
and undeviating testimony. Evans was particularly identified 
by the little child as being at the murder, which was 
supported by John King, her next door neighbour; she could 
not swear as to the identify of Sheehy being present, but 
the testimony of King, the former witness, and Wall, was 
conclusive against him. The same humane attention of the 
Bench as evinced in the preceding trials was paid to the 
unfortunate prisoners, who made no defence. Evans, who is a 
smart young man, got an excellent character from the Rev. 
Thomas Westropp, Mr. Davenport, Mr. Heaccocke, and Mr. 
O'Brien. Sheehy worked for Mr. Langford five years ago, and 
at that time his character was good. Sergeant Johnston 
charged the jury in an able manner, who retired, and after a 
short consultation, returned with a verdict of Guilty 
against both. The learned Sergeant, in an awful and 
impressive manner, passed the sentence of death, and 
particularly remarked upon the dreadful state of society, 
when a young man of Evan's good character could be got, 
without any cause, to be a participator in murdering his 
unoffending neighbours. After sentence was passed, Sheehy, 
who is an uncommon ill- looking fellow, acknowledged he was 
at the murders, and that Boruke and Hehir were the only 
persons as yet convicted that were also particpators in his 
guilt and that all the others were innocent. This last part, 
which we are confident was disbelieved by every individual 
who attended the trials, was instantly refuted by Mr. 
Pennefather, who was astonished at the shocking depravity of 
the criminal and mentioned to the Court, that Sheehy a few 
weeks ago gave information against nine, and at the same 
time swore that Evans, who was hanged, was innocent; and it 
should be remarked, that at the gallows, Burke and Hehir, 
who he said were guilty, persisted in their innocence.

	Maurice M'Mahon was yesterday tried for cow stealing and 
acquitted. He is remanded to the prison for sheep stealing.


	This day, Henry Neille and Thomas Hehir are on their 
trials for the Dillons' murder. Bridget Dillon, in her 
examination, has proved that Neille assisted in dragging her 
father's body out to the road, after being murdered and that 
Hehir was the man who went into the house for the bayonet 
with Scanlan, when her mother was shot. The trials had not 
closed when we put to press.
	Four o'clock -The Jury have just given in a verdict of 
Guilty against Neille and Hehir - they are both to be hanged 
on Friday. The Crown Lawyers have declined proceeding in the 
trials of any more at present, and in consequence the Juries 
are discharged.
The Times; London, Middlesex, England; August 15, 1817

(From the Patriot)

	John Clanchy, who was tried and acquitted for writing a 
letter to Alderman Wilkinson, offering to take away the life 
of Mr. Tuthill, was on Saturday brought into Court, the 
Grand Jury having represented him as a vagabond.
	A jury was impannelled, and Mr. Tuthill having been 
sworn, deposed that he never knew Clanchy until the day he 
was apprehended; had heard him described as a bad character; 
believed that he was one; knew the prisoner at the bar to be 
the same person who had confessed to have written the letter 
to Mr. Wilkinson.
	Prisoner on being asked whether he had any one to give 
him a character, said he could not call any one in Court, 
except Mr. Tinsley, attorney.
	Mr. Tinsley said he did not sufficiently know the man to 
take upon him to say what his character was; he knew him to 
have been in comfortable circumstances, but did not believe 
that to be the case latterly.
	His lordship then put the case to the jury, who returned 
a verdict finding for the presentment, and against the 
	The learned Judge then addressed the prisoner nearly as 
follows: "John Clanchy, you were indicted for a most 
malicious and wicked offence, for which, if you had been 
found guilty, you would have received the severest 
punishment of the law. The jury, no doubt, did their duty in 
acquitting you of the charge; however, it has been clearly 
shown you did write that letter, actuated by the most 
abominable motive. If the fact of intention was established, 
you would, in the eye of the law, have been considered as a 
murderer; however, I believe, that your intention was to 
hoax the Magistrate, to whom you had the impudent audacity 
to address it, out of a sum of money. I consider you to be a 
man of the most depraved principles, who would lend yourself 
to the commission of another act, however atrocious; you 
appear to be lost to every thing worthy of the name of man; 
you; in the wickedness of your own heart, conceived the 
diabolical project of taking away the life of a respectable 
gentleman, and you then threw an indirect imputation against 
the character of a Magistrate, by attempting to make him the 
pander to your guilt, and finally, not content with having 
gone thus far in iniquity, on a subsequent examination, you 
had the effrontery to endeavour to criminate others, by 
saying that you were instigated thereto. The Grand Jury have 
presented you as an idle and disorderly person, as having no 
certain place of residence, no visible mode of living, and 
finally, as a vagabond. The provisions of the Act enable me 
to sentence you to transportation for seven years, and I 
think the punishment perhaps too trivial for the magnitude 
of your offence. The law, in its lenity, says, that if the 
people so described shall within a certain time find any two 
persons of respectability who will take upon them to 
contradict the presentation of the Grand Jury, he may remain 
in the country. In this case, however, I think the 
mitigation of punishment too great to leave a character of 
your description in the country. I do not think it right; 
and perhaps for yourself it would also be better you were 
not, as your situation very probably would neither be safe 
or agreeable. The sentence of the law is, that you, John 
Clanchy, be transported from these countries beyond the 
seas, for the space of seven years, unless you can, in a [?] 
I cannot pronounce (but which will be directed by the 
Government of which I am the organ), find and produce two 
ostensible persons to bail you, which I think you will find 
it difficult to do. If, however, you can do so, you may 
remain where you are."

	On Monday last the dreadful sentence of the law was put 
in execution on these unfortunate men, pursuant to their 
sentence on Friday last. Precisely at 12 o'clock, Henry 
Burke, and Thomas Clarke prepared on the fatal drop, 
attended by their clergyman, who, we are glad to find, had 
the happy effect of bringing their minds to a proper sense 
of their awful situation, very different to that [?] spirit 
of revenge exhibited by them in Court, on hearing the awful 
sentence of death pronounced on them. Indeed Burke evinced a 
depravity of mind even to the fatal moment, that we have 
never before witnessed on a like occasion; both acknowledged 
that they were guilty of the murder, for which they were so 
justly to forfeit their lives, and in a few moments were 
launched into eternity.
	At half past one Thomas Gormly and Thomas Rochford were 
brought out to suffer the like sentence, they appeared 
deeply penitent and impressed with, the solemnity of their 
awful state; after spending a few minutes in prayer, they 
also were launched into eternity.
	After the bodies were hanged the usual time, they were 
all put into a cart and taken to the County Infirmary to be 
directed and anatomized, pursuant to the statute, after 
which they were reconveyed to the gaol-yard for 
interment.-Mullingar paper.
The Times; London, Middlesex, England; March 20, 1818

	The Solicitor-General was occupied on Saturday in the 
County Court, investigating the following Nizi Prius causes, 
in which the Chief Magistrate of Limerick was nominally the 
defendant, to recover damages for losses sustained in 
breaking into stores, &c, during the riots in June, 1817:-
	Mr. Blakeney claimed 147l., for the loss of flour and 
oatmeal - verdict 30l.
	Mr. Bannatyne claimed 150l. - verdict 100l.
	Mr. Reddan claimed 212l. - verdict 200l. Mr. R. used 
every exertion to defend his property.
	Mr. Rose - verdict 30l.
	Mr. Robert Ferguson claimed 13l. verdict for defendant.
	The only capital conviction which has yet taken place is 
that of Patrick Moylan, who was found guilty of the murder 
of Mr. Switzer, at Ballingarry, and received sentence of 
death - to be executed on Friday, and his body given for 

The Times; London, Middlesex, England; March 21, 1818

	The bodies of J. Dillane, a respectable farmer, his 
sister, the widow Costelloe, and her daughter, were found 
murdered on the lands of Knockfenish, barony of Upper 
Connelloe, in this county, on Monday last. It appears that 
these unfortunate persons were at the market of Newcastle on 
Saturday se'nnight, and after disposing of some pigs, were, 
returning home, waylaid and murdered; and from that time, 
though diligent search was made, no clue could possibly be 
had to ascertain their fate, until Monday last, when they 
were found as thus described, in an unfrequented part of a 
mountain-road. It is clear that robbery was not the object 
of the murderers, as all the money which the deceased 
persons received at the market was found on them. The motive 
of so dreadful an outrage can only be ascribed to revenge, 
as it is said the widow Costelloe, at our last assizes, very 
properly prosecuted two persons for cow- stealing, who were 
convicted. Since writing the above, we have learned that an 
inquest was held on the bodies of S. Harding, Esq., coroner, 
when a verdict of willful murder was returned against 
persons unknown. The necks of the unfortunate sufferers were 
broken, and their bodies not only had the appearance of 
violence, but parts of them were mutilated.-Limerick 
The Times; London, Middlesex, England; November 27, 1821

	The Rev. John Croker and his lady, returning in their 
carriage to his house at Croom Glebe, a few nights ago, were 
fired at by some villains from behind a hedge, near Croom, 
happily without effect.
	On Friday night last a party of armed men attacked the 
porter's lodge at Whitehall, near this city, at the entrance 
to the dwelling house of Captain Keane, Paymaster of the 
county Limerick Staff. It was occupied by one of the men 
belonging to that corps; and supposing that he had his 
musket in the house, they searched it minutely, but 
fortunately without success. The same party also entered the 
lodge at Mr. Lowe's of Quinpoole, with the like result.
	A second visit was made to Major Tomkin's house near 
Patrick's-well, a few nights since, in search of fire-arms, 
and the party succeeded in getting one gun.
	We are credibly informed, that those nightly marauders, 
in order to protect their persons from the effect of light 
shot or slugs, actually envelope themselves in hay ropes 
from the feet to the neck, which, we are told, will repel 
that description of ammunition.
	On Sunday last, about 2 o'clock, at noon, as John 
Hewson, Esq., of Castle-Hewson, near Askeaton, was walking 
in his lawn, a short distance from the dwelling, he was 
surrounded by a number of armed men, who had lain concealed 
in the shrubbery, and who ordered him to walk towards his 
house, and deliver up what arms and ammunition it contained. 
Mr. Hewson not expecting so extraordinary a meeting  and 
being unarmed, was compelled to yield to their requisition. 
On the party approaching the house, the inmates were 
preparing to resist them, when the fellows presented their 
hostage to view, and stated, that if any opposition should 
be made, and if the arms, &c., were not instantly handed 
out, Mr. Hewson should meet the fate of Mr. Going. There was 
no remedy, the arms were given, with which they walked off.
	The house of Edward Griffin, Esq., of Ballynort, within 
a short distance of Mr. Hewson's, was also visited by the 
same party, in a short time after, and one gun taken.
The Times; London, Middlesex, England; March 18, 1822

The Dublin papers of Thursday announce in the list of 
outrages the murder of P. Hart, the steward of John Brown, 
Esq., who was stoned to death by the White Boys, in the 
liberties of Limerick on Saturday last. A barbarous murder 
is also said to have been committed on a person named Thomas 
Knox, one of Major Donoghue's police establishment. One of 
the perpetrators had been apprehended. In the county of 
Limerick no disposition has been manifested to give up arms.
The Times; London, Middlesex, England; October 1, 1822
(From the Limerick Chronicle)
     On Friday night last, Messrs. Kelly and Smith, of 
Captain Wilcock's Police, succeeded in apprehending the 
noted James Fitzgibbon, Patrick Carty, John Molony and 
Thomas Collins, all of whom are charged with the wilful 
murder of Ulick Burke, Esq., in Feb. last near Cappa; they 
are lodged in Rathkeale Bridewell.
     On the next morning at ten o'clock, a female, who had 
been seen the day before at Rathkeale, and who was conceived 
to have given information which led to the apprehension of 
the four fellows, proceeding to the well of Cappa, near 
where she resided, for a can of water, was seized upon by a 
man with his face blackened, who instantly dragged her into 
the grove, and in the most savage manner attempted to cut 
her throat. The approach of some persons prevented the 
miscreant carrying his intention into effect, as he only 
gave her some scars under the chin, and by the humane 
directions of Mr. Kelly of Captain Wilcock's Police, she is 
placed under surgical care in Rathkeale, and hopes are 
entertained of her speedy recovery. The most prompt 
exertions were made by the police, accompanied by Robert 
Peppard, Esq. and his son, to apprehend the perpetrator, who 
has for the present escaped.
     Since writing the above we have received the following 
from a respectable magistrate:- "SIR, - I have to acquaint 
you with one of the most daring attempts at assassination 
which perhaps has ever been recorded in the late, I fear, I 
may add present, rebellion. "As a girl of the name of 
Catherine Hickie was walking on the avenue leading to Cappa- 
house, on Saturday last, about the hour of 11 in the 
forenoon, a man, whose face was blackened, seized her, and 
dragged her into a grove that stands by the avenue, and 
there with a razor cut her throat across, but providentially 
the design of the ruffian is frustrated, as there are 
sanguine hopes of the girl's recovery.
     "This scene took place within from twenty to sixty 
yards of a cluster of houses, one of them a forge, the door 
of which opened towards the spot to which the assassin drew 
her, and in that forge were four men at the moment. I must 
state that no suspicion of collusion rests against these 
four men, as the noise in the forge prevented the girl's 
cries from being heard. There are two police-men stationed 
at Cappa, and Mr. Peppard was walking within sight of, and 
not more than two or three hundred yards from, the girl at 
the time the transaction occurred; one of the most public 
roads in the county runs beside the place where she was 
attacked. "This outrageous attempt on the life of an 
innocent young woman, caused by a suspicion of her having 
given information against murderers, is a clear evidence 
that the spirit of desolation has only lain smothered during 
the few months of doubtful tranquility that has reigned in 
this county, and the man's face being blackened is a 
well-known symptom of rebellion."
     "P.S.- I have opened my letter to inform you that one 
of Mr. Raymond's offices, at Hollywood, lately occupied as a 
barrack, was burnt last night (Monday) by White Boys." MORE 
     Within the last few nights parties of ruffians visited 
several houses between Clarina and Adare in this county. 
They flogged a farmer, named Lynch, at Briskee; and the 
dwelling of Mr. C. Parker was attacked by an unarmed party, 
who beat him for not sending out his servant to be flogged 
by them.
     Monday night, John Frayley received a flogging, near 
Rathkeale, from a party of ruffians. He was suspected of 
giving information.
     At an early hour on Monday morning, a communication 
reached the Police-office of Captain Drought, in his city, 
that at six o'clock on the preceding evening, two men of his 
infantry corps, named Gunnell and Armstrong, returning from 
Castle Connell to their quarters at Bird-hill, were attacked 
on the Gouigg-road, and that the former was murdered, and 
the body supposed to have been thrown into a bog-hole, as no 
trace could be found of it. At three o'clock, however, a 
messenger arrived who stated that Gunnell has been found in 
the corner of a ditch, at some distance from where the 
attack was made upon him; and that, though wounded and 
stabbed in several parts of the body, he was likely to 
recover. Various causes are assigned for this outrage; but 
as an inquiry is about to take place, we abstain from 
noticing any of the rumours.