Cemetery: Kilrush Churchyard & Lady Chapel Churchyard

Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
Kildare Index


File contributed by: C.Hunt & M. Taylor

 [From Lord Walter FITZGERALD]

'Of the ruins of this church only the east gable-end and the
gable over the chancel arch remain; no cut-stone work
remains 'in situ' but dotted about the graveyard being used
as headstones are cut limestone window-jambs, &c. and the
central portion of a double-lighted ogee-headed window,
probably belonging to the east window. In the nave is an
octagonal-sided granite font; the chancel contains modern
monuments to the PELIN family of Ballindrum. As far as I
could make out the oldest tombstone is a flat slab lying
outside the east end of the ruins; the inscription is
lightly incised and reads' :-
 Here lies the Body of Simon BYRNE who
 departed this life the  Second day of December
 1741 aged 53 years.

 [From Lord Walter FITZGERALD]

'This churchyard lies about three miles to the south-west of
Maynooth. Portions of the east end and of the west end of
the old churCh still stand; the latter is topped by a double
belfry, with round-beaded openings. Inside the churchyard
and close to the east end of the ruins is a large, round
Holy Well, with mason-work side and a flight of open steps
leading down to the water.

Near the well is a headstone with an inscription that reads
as follows':-
  Morgan MOONY Erected This
  Stone in Memory of his Father
  Laurence MOONY who died Apr'r 7th
  1782 aged 70
  Also his Mother Alice who died
  Dec'r 4th 1779 Aged 66 & of
  his brother Denis he ...

 'The remainder is underground.'

'In the west end of the burial-ground is a headstone bearing
this inscription' :-
 This Monument is erected by James O'BRYAN
 for his Posterity for ever.
 Whereat lieth the Body of his Father Arthur
 O'BRYAN Dec'r A.D.1740
 Aged 40 years for whose Souls the prayers of
 the faithful is expected

'The following inscriptions are from mural tablets' :-
 This monument was erected by James SWORDS for him
 and his Posterity. 1762

 This tomb and burial place Belongeth to Patrick
 Turner and his Posterity. 1769

 This stone and burial place Belongeth to Patrick
 TRAVERS and his Posterity. 1777

'Resting on its side and leaning against a portion of the
west end of the ruins is a large slab. The inscription on it
was originally lightly incised and is now hardly legible; at
the top is a coat-of-arms in relief and at the foot a skull
and cross-bones (also in relief) under which is written':-
  As you are now so once were we,
  As you are now so shall you be,
  Remember Reader you must die

'The inscriptions is a follows':-

  This Stone was laid here at the
  Expense of Mr James FLOOD of the
  City of Dublin, Beaker for him and his
  Here lyeth the Body of Margaret
  FLOOD Daughter to the above James
  who departed this life December the 15th
  Anno Domini 1729.
  Also Michael FLOOD son of the above
  James who departed this
  life March the 9th Anno Domini 1732 in the
  ... year of his age.
  Also the Body of John FLOOD son of
  the above James FLOOD who departed
  this life July 28 Anno Domini 1736 in the 3.
  year of his age.
  Also the Body of Ann FLOOD Daughter
  to Morgan GALVIN and wife to ye sd
  James who departed this life AD 17.. aged 55
  The above James FLOOD died Feb'y ye
  1769 aged 60 years.

Note: 'This churchyard is only used for the interment of
Roman Catholics. It is said that on one occasion a
Protestant was secretly buried in it and that he was unable
to rest and that he was frequently seen wandering about the
churchyard precincts. On enquiries being made it was
discovered who he was: his friends were forced by the
people in the locality to exhume the coffin and re-inter it
elsewhere, since which time the apparition disappeared.

Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the
Memorials of the Dead in Ireland Vol. 6. 1904, (FHL #