Galway - 1881 Directory of Athenry *********************************************** Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives Galway Index Copyright ************************************************ File contributed by: C.L. 1881 DIRECTORY OF ATHENRY Slater'S Commercial Directory Of Ireland Is a small incorporated market and post town and parish, partly in the baronies of Clare, Dunkellin and Kilconnell, but chiefly in that of Athenry, county of Galway, 121 miles w. by s. from Dublin and 14 E. from Galway, ans is on the Midland Great Western railway. This place, anciently called Athneri, is said to have derived its name from Athna-Raigh, 'the King's Ford,' or 'the abode of a king.' Sir James Ware considers it to have been the chief town of the Anteri; and at a remote period it was surrounded by walls, with round towers fifty yards apart, which indicate it to have been a place of considerable importance. The ruins of the walls and towers, together with a castle, called the 'King's Court,' as it is considered to have been the residence of one of the provincial kings, and which was a building of great defence, are still to be seen. The ruins of a Dominican abbey here, from its antiquity and style of architecture, are the admiration of all strangers. It was founded by Myler De Birmingham, second baron of Athenry, in 1241, and was dedicated to St. Peter and Paul. A Franciscan friary was also founded here by the Earl of Kildare, in 1464. In 1577 the two sons of the Earl of Clanricarde, renouncing their submission to Elizabeth, assembled their partisans, and succeeded in reducing the town to a state of complete ruin. In this state it continued till the year 1584, when it was to a great extent re-built; but in 1596 the northern Irish invested it, and again it was reduced to ashes. From this time, though it had formerly held a second rank in the county, it never recovered its ancient importance. The Dominican friars, who, under the protection of the O'Dalys, of Caronkelly, took up their abode at Eskee, about three miles from the town, still continue to flourish there. They have built a very neat chapel and a college. There are also National schools there, wherein 800 of the children of the poor are daily educated, 100 of whom are provided with food. The town is situated in the midst of a tolerably fruitful soil, though there is a considerable quantity of unreclaimed bog in the neighbourhood. The magistrates regulate the affairs of the town, for which purpose they held a petty sessions once a fortnight. The places of worship are a Protestant Episcopal church, a remarkably neat building and one belonging to the Roman Catholics, a plain slated edifice. There is a constabulary barrack, a dispensary and a National school. A chalybeate spring is much resorted to. The markets are held on Fridays and Mondays, and the fairs (which are but poorly attended), are May 5th, July 2nd, and October 20th. In 1861 the population of the parish was 3,881 and in 1871, 3,639, of which number the town contained 1,194. POST OFFICE. Athenry, Ann Rush, Post Mistress - Letters from Dublin, England, Scotland, &c. arrive at twelve night and half-past one afternoon, and are dispatched thereto at twenty minutes past twelve night and twelve noon. Letters from Tuam, Hollymount, Castlebar and Westport, arrive at twelve night and are dispatched thereto at the same time. Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank. GENTRY AND CLERGY Blake Rev. M Athenry Blake Peter, Esq, J.P. Hollypark Bodkin Robert, Esq, Annagh Clarke James, Esq, J.P. Graig Abbey Cullinan Mr. John, Mount Brown Irvine Robt, Esq, Town House, Athenry Joyce John, Esq, Athenry Lambert Francis E, Esq, Moor park Lambert Giles Eyre, Esq, Knocbrack Lambert Walter, Esq, J.P. Castle-Ellen Lopdell John J, Esq, J.P. Raheen Park M'Cay Mr. Hector, Mulpit M'Donagh Denis M, Esq, Athenry O'Brien Rev. John Patrick, Athenry Persse Burton , Esq, D.L. &J.P. Moyode Castle Richardson Nicholas G, Esq, J.P. Tyaquin Smyth Lawrence, Esq, Caherfinsker Trousdell William B.P., Esq, Aughrim park Walker Rev. Samuel,M.A. Athenry SCHOOL NATIONAL SCHOOL - Thomas O'Reilly, master; Sarah Dolan, mistress BAKERS Brodrick Margaret Kelly Michael M'Kean Michael Ryan John BANK ULSTER BANK (Branch) - Draws on Prescott & Co. London - James Corry, manager BLACKSMITHS Madden Thomas Murphy Michael BUTCHERS Connor Michael Fallon Patrick CARPENTERS Brodrick Peter & John (builders) Mannion Thomas (& cartwright) Walsh Michael DRAPERS Brodrick Margaret Dillon John S M'Donoagh Matthew FARMERS In the Parish of Athenry Barrett Joseph ; Mitchel Edward Hennelly Michael ; Mitchel Patrick Irvine Robert ; Mitchel Anthony Kelly Raymond ; O'Connor Gerald M'Cay Hector ; Porteous David M'Donagh Denis ; Smyth William FIRE &c. OFFICE AGENTS PRUDENTIAL (life) - Morgan Fahy, Athenry THE EDINBURGH (life) - Denis M. M'Donagh, Athenry GROCERS Barrett Joseph Brodrick Margaret Brodrick Michael Blackall & M'Donagh (& flour dealers) Dillon John S Fahy Morgan Gill William Kelly Bridget Kelly Thomas R Nolan Bernard Smyth Samuel Sweeny Joseph Watson Francis T HOTELS & PUBLIC HOUSES Barrett Joseph Blackall & M'Donagh (wine & spirit merchants) Brodrick Michael Cloonan James Dillon John S Dooley Patrick Dunleavy Patrick Fahy Morgan Joyce Peter Kelly Bridget Kelly Thomas R Kinneen Patrick Kinneen's Hotel (posting house), Timothy Kinneen Larner Lawrence Nolan Bernard Nolan Richard Railway Hotel, Anne Kavanagh Ryan James Smyth Samuel Sweeny Joseph Wheelan Bridget IRONMONGERS Blackall & M'Donagh (& hardware dealers) Brodrick Michael Sweeny Joseph MISCELLANEOUS Blackall & M'Donagh, agents for Goulding's manures Burke Edward, saddler Burke Maria, glass & china dealer Cannon Patrick, shopkeeper Dillon John S, shopkeeper Irvine Robert, oatmeal, &c, miller, Athenry, & chemical manure works, Galway Jordan Mark, bootmaker Kinneen Timothy, high constable for barony of Athenry Mahon Patrick, shopkeeper PUBLIC BUILDINGS, OFFICES, &c. PLACES OF WORSHIP And Their Ministers PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH - William D.Roe, rector PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (temporary) -Rev. Samuel Walker, M.A. ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH - Rev. John Patrick O'Brien, P.P. Constabulary Barrack - Edward Hayden, sergeant Deputy Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages - Hector M'Cay STATIONERS Blackall & M'Donagh SURGEON Leonard Henry J.W. TAILORS Caulfield Patrick Flannigan Stephen Dispensary - Henry J.W. Leonard, surgeon Dominican Convent, Esker - The Very Rev. M. Blake, prior Registers of Births, Deaths, & Marriages -Henry J.W. Leonard Sessions House - Hector M'Cay, clerk CAR To WESTPORT, a Mail Car, at half- past one morning, goes through Tuam, Hollymount & Claremorris CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY On the Midland Great Western Line. Station close to the town (on the north side) - James Thompson Garven, station master.