Galway - 1846 Directory of Eyrecourt *********************************************** Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives Galway Index Copyright ************************************************ File contributed by: C.L. 1846 DIRECTORY OF EYRECOURT Slater'S Directory Of Ireland A small market town in the parish of Donanaghta, barony of Longford, county of Galway, about 90 miles w. by s. from Dublin, 40 e. by s. from Galway, 14 n.w. from Parsonstown, and 11 s.e. from Ballinasloe; situated in the midst of a fine corn district, on the road by Banagher to Loughrea. The town derives its name from the Eyre family, lords of the manor; and contiguous to the town is Eyrecourt Castle, a magnificent structure, the property of the family, at present occupied by John Eyre, Esq. J.P., a great patron of the town, and evincing a lively anxiety for its prosperity. The interior of the castle is eminently deserving the stranger's notice; the staircase, in particular, is supposed to be the finest in Ireland. Over the hall door is inscribed the following sentence, 'Welcome to the House of Liberty.' In the demesne, which is beautifully laid out, is a large fort, from which a cave is said to run two miles and a half, and to pen near the beautiful and ancient abbey of Mellick. The trade of the place is quite of a local character, and with the exception of the Eyrecourt corn mils, of Mr. Horsman, there is no prominent branch. Te government of the town is vested in the magistrates and a seneschal; the former meet in petty session once a fortnight; the latter holds a court every three weeks- both in the court-house. The parish church of Donanaghta is a plain but neat stone edifice, erected in 1818, with a tower and one bell. The Roman Catholic chapel is large and will accommodate a congregation of one thousand persons. In 1777 a school was erected here by order of, and endowed by Bishop Cumberland. The school premises, which have been recently re-built, from one of the principal buildings of the town; and the establishment flourishes under the admirable management of Mr. John Coen, B.A. There is also a school in connexion with the 'Ladies Hibernian Female School Society' A dispensary here is supported party by the county and partly by subscription. The market days are Tuesday and Saturday. Fairs February 8th, the first Monday after Easter Monday, July 10th, Sept. 8th, Nov. 10th and Dec. 21st. The February and November fairs have been recently instituted. The parish of Donanaghta contained, in 1841, 1,870 in habitants and the town of Eyrecourt 1,419 of that number. POST OFFICE, Mary Eyre, Post Mistress-Letters from Ballinasloe arrive every morning at a quarter before nine, and are despatched thereto every afternoon at ten minutes past four.- Letters from Banagher and Parsonstown arrive every afternoon at four and are despatched every morning at ten minutes before nine.- Letters from Portumna arrive every afternoon at a quarter before four and are despatched thereto every morning at five minutes past nine. GENTRY AND CLERGY Allman Mr. Fras. Tallywood Cottage Blake Mrs Anne, Main st Blake, Mrs. Jane, Green trees Blake Peter, Esq. Market st Burke Mr. William B. Quansborough Lodge Butson the Ven. Archdeacon James S. Clonfret Coen Rev Ths. P.P. Grange House Daly Mr. John, Clonnachaise Daly Mr. Richard G. Wood View Doyle Mrs Anne, Main st Egan Mr. John Woodfield Eyre John Esq., Hasson Park Eyre John, Esq. (magistrate), Eyrecourt Castle. Eyre Rev. Richard, the Glebe Eyre Robt, Esq. (seneschal) the Cottage Flanagan Miss Anne, Market st Flanagan Henry, Esq. Woburn Grome Mr. Edward, Clonfert Grome Mr John, Market st Kavanagh Rev. James, C.C. Main st Kelly Patrick, Esq, Longford House Kelly Mr. Stephen, Longford House Lemon Mr. Joseph, Ormond View Montgomery Mr. John, Green trees Seymour Rev. David, Abbey land Seymour Eyre, Esq., Lisanacody Seymour Mr. Robert, Clonfert Cottage Seymour Mr. Simeon, Tower View Skerrett Mr. Patrick Mark, Main st Smith John, Esq, Prospect House Trench Jno. Eyre, Esq. Prospect House PROFESSIONAL PERSONS Blake James, attorney, Main st Calanan Nicholas, attorney, Main st Cowan John, attorney, Main st Cowan Joseph Henry, attorney and sub-sheriff of Galway, Main st Eyre Robert, attorney, Main st Lovelock Patrick, apothecary, Main st Mahon George, physician, Main st SCHOOLS Coen John, B.A.(boarding) River st Endowed School, River st-Mister John Coen, B.A., master Ladies' Hibernian Female Society's School, Market street, Daniel Rosingrave, master; Rebecca M'Govern, mistress INNS & PUBLIC HOUSES Coen Anne, Main st Daly Zechariah, Main st Egan Joseph (and posting house) Main street Mahon Thomas, Main st SHOPKEEPERS & TRADERS Buckley Robert, rag dealer, Main st Brereton Catherine, grocer & linen draper, Main st Coates Samuel, farmer, Coates' lane Coghlan Patrick, farmer, Main st Connor Thos., blacksmith, Pound st Donoghoe Michael, provision dealer, Main st Fallon Patrick, dyer, River st Ford Martin, provision dealer, Main st Gannon Patrick, farmer, Coates' lane Horsman Edwd., corn miller, Eyrecourt Mills Howard Patrick, grocer & stationer, Main st Hourigan, Michael, butcher, Main st Kelly Jno., grocer & draper, Main st Kelly Thos, grocer & draper, Main st Killeen Jno. grocer & draper, Main st Larkin Denis, nail maker, Main st Larkin Philip, nail maker, Market st M'Carty Bridget, provision dealer,Coates' lane Maguire George, nail maker, Main st Mahon John, linen draper, Main st M'Nevin Patrick, harness maker,Market st Mahoney John, baker, Main st O'Donnell Joseph, provision dealer,Coates' lane Rodden Jno. provision dealer, Main st Rodgers Isaac, provision dlr, Main st Sords Wm, grocer & baker, Main st Staunton Patrick, cartwright, Main st Thompson Luke, boot & shoe maker,Market st Thompson, Wm. boot & shoe maker, Main st Topin Nicholas, butcher, Market st PLACES OF WORSHIP And their Ministers Saint John's Church, market st.- Rev. Richard B. Eyre, the Glebe; Thomas Leech, clerk, Market street. Roman Catholic Chapel, Main street - Rev. Thomas Coen, parish priest, Main street, Rev. James Kavanagh, curate, Main street PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS &c. Bridewell, Market st- James Dunbar,keeper Constabulary Barrack, Main street- Samuel Abbott, sub-inspector,Laurencetown. Court House, Market street- Daniel Rosingrave, keeper. Dispensary, Main st- Mr. George Mahan, physician Stamp Office, Main st- Thomas Curran distributor. CARS From William Sord's, grocer, Main street. To Ballinasloe, a Mail Car, every afternoon at ten minutes past four. To Parsonstown, a Mail Car, every morning at ten minujtes before nine; goes through Banagher. To Portumna, a Mail Car, every morning at five minutes past nine.