Misc: The Erasmian December 1918 - Obituaries

Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
Dublin Index


File contributed by:  Joyce Tunstead joytun at utvinternet.com


Transcriber's Note:  The years quoted in brackets would be 
the period when each person was a pupil at The High School, 
Dublin, unless otherwise stated.

It is seldom that we have to announce the death of one who 
is taken from us while still at school.   Handel John 
Phillips Rogers (Jack) died as the result of influenza on 
Friday Nov. 1st, barely a month after his sixteenth 
birthday. He was always rather a delicate boy, and he had 
grown rapidly, but he was fond of games – cricket, swimming, 
gymnastics, and he seemed to have become stronger. He was 
always a good worker, conscientious, high-minded and 
determined, and he was looking forward with good hopes to a 
very successful life.  But it was not to be.  He had, 
however, done something.  He won a School Scholarship and 
passed the Junior Grade twice, last summer with honours, and 
the high distinction of a prize for Classics.  He leaves 
behind a bright example as a help to us all.

Capt. Lancelot M. Bayly, M.C., R.I.R. (1895-1902) died of 
wounds in France on October 22nd, having been shot through 
the body by a sniper.   He was the second son of the late E. 
F. Bayly and Mrs. Bayly, Killough Castle, Thurles.  Every 
one who knew him, whether at school or at Lansdowne Road, 
where he played for the 1st XV of the Lansdowne Club in the 
Cup Matches of 1904 and 1905, will remember him for his 
kindly, unassuming, straightforward character, one of the 
best type of men.  When the war broke out he was in India, 
but at once came home and joined up.  The last time we saw 
him was when he called at the School in the spring of 1917 
after being wounded.  On his return to France he gained the 
Military Cross in March last for conspicuous gallantry and 
devotion to duty.  He commanded a company through a week's 
heavy fighting, taking part in rearguard actions and counter 
attacks, in which he set a fine example.  On one occasion he 
carried a Lewis gun during the whole of a long march.

Trooper Wm. Buckley of the Irish Horse (1903-04) died in 
hospital, aged 29, whilst a prisoner of war in Germany on 
August 6th last.   He was the eldest son of the late Francis 
Buckley of Enniskerry.

Wm. Francis Benson, Sub-Lieut., Royal Naval Volunteer 
Reserve (1907-12), was killed in action while leading his 
platoon on October 8th, aged 23.   He was the eldest son of 
the late Wm. Benson and Mrs. Benson, 46 Reuben Avenue, 
S.C.R.   He was a scholar of the School, and distinguished 
himself in the Intermediate. When the war broke out he 
joined the R.A.M.C., but later transferred to the
Royal Naval Reserve when his good services won him a Commission.

Capt. Hill Wilson White, R.A.M.C., (1895-1903) was reported 
missing last spring, but has now officially been announced 
as presumed to have been killed on April 12th last.   He 
will be remembered by many boys for his charming 
personality, and his keen interest in everything concerning 
the School.   He joined the army in August, 1914, and served 
in France and Flanders.   He was wounded at Ypres in 
December, 1915.  In March last he was in medical charge of a 
reinforcement camp, and was despatched with a battalion to 
meet an almost overwhelming advance by the enemy.   In the 
ensuing fight he acquitted himself with great gallantry, 
attending to the wounded under heavy shell fire.   He was 
the fourth son of the Dean of Christ Church and Mrs. White, 
and was born June 12th 1885.

Hector A. Young, R.A.S.C. (1910-11) died on December 30th of 
pneumonia at the Military Hospital, Tidworth.  He was born 
10th November 1895, and was the fourth son of the late Dr. 
Poyntz Young and Mrs. Young, of 17 Sandymount Road.

Rev. Arthur Oulton, M.A. (1900-03) died on November 4th of 
pneumonia, was, perhaps, the most lovable, attractive and 
gifted boy ever at the School.  We give below an 
appreciation of him by one of his class fellows.  There were 
two striking things about Arthur Oulton - a generous and 
charming personality which made everyone like him both at 
School and afterwards, and a genius for music. His end was a 
tragedy.   He had just resigned his living at Aghade, 
Co.Carlow, having obtained a post for which he was eminently 
fitted and which had been his ambition, the Clerical 
Vicarship Choral of York Minster.   He died on a Monday, and 
his wife and son, who was born after his death, died the 
same week.  He was the eldest son of Mr. G. N. Oulton, K.C., 
and was born December 16th, 1883.

Though the muse be gone away,
Though she move not earth to-day,
Souls erewhile who caught her word,
Ah! Still harp on what they heard.

The following appreciation has been sent us by a former 
schoolfellow:- "To many people in Dublin and in the 
provinces the news of Arthur Oulton's early death from 
pneumonia following influenza will come as a great shock.   
He had by his gifts won for himself a foremost place in 
musical circles in Dublin.  He will be remembered by most 
people as a solo pianist and accompanist; but he also played 
the viola in the College orchestra, while as an 
undergraduate he was organist of the Magdalen Asylum Chapel. 
He was no niggard in the giving of his services when 
called on.   No request for help in a good cause ever failed 
to enlist his whole-hearted sympathy, and he gave of his 
best whether he was entertaining a few friends in a private 
house or was appearing before the larger, but not more 
appreciative, audience of the concert hall. But it was not 
only his musical ability that attracted.  He had a charming 
personality, and the gift of interesting himself in any 
matter that came under his notice.   All his friends will 
remember the impulsive hastening to greet, the close hand 
shake, the lighting up of the kindly eyes - he made you feel 
that his joy was real in coming across you once again.   It 
was so on the Monday morning before he died when the writer 
met him, seemingly in perfect health, in Westmoreland 
Street, just the same happiness in meeting one he knew, the 
same kindly smile that he had in the old school days. The 
picture that rose in my mind when I heard the news of his 
death was connected with those days, when we used to take a 
delight in watching him as he walked up and down the 
play-ground interestedly discussing the subject he loved – 
and so absorbed in the discussion that he never noticed that 
his books (which he always carried loose and never fastened 
together with a strap) were dropping one by one from under 
his arm, until the fall of the last one recalled him to the 
fact that his volumes of learning lay marking his path 
across the gravel. He has gone from us after a few years of 
life, and in all probability standing on the threshold of a 
great career.  Yet those who knew him at school or college 
will feel that his short life was not an ineffective one.  
The school of his day was the better for his being in it - 
and that is a great thing to say of any schoolboy"   

Professor C. C. W. Stronge, M.A. (1896-97), who was born on 
29th October, 1879, was the youngest son of Mr. S. E. 
Stronge, of Dromartin Castle, Dundrum, one of the Head 
Inspectors of National Education.  He obtained many 
distinctions in Classics, English and German in Trinity, 
among others winning the Stewart Scholarship, and graduated 
in 1902 with First Senior Moderatorship and Gold Medal in 
Modern Literature.  When the Chair of Modern Languages was 
founded in Magee College, Londonderry, he became its first 
occupant, and held it till his early death.   He also took 
an active part in bringing about the existing relations 
between Magee College and Dublin University.

Among the victims of the "Leinster" outrage was a former 
master of the School, Mr. H. E. Taaffe, who taught modern 
languages here from 1906-08.  He was a very capable scholar, 
and after leaving the High School held appointments in the 
Bermudas and in England.

Transcriber's Note:  The years quoted would be the period 
when each person was a pupil at The High School, Dublin.

The Erasmian, Vol Xvi. No.1.  December 1918