Cemetery: St. Patrick's Cathedral & Earl Of Cork'S Monument 

Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
Dublin Index


File contributed by:  C. Hunt & Mary Bradley


Mason's description of the monument erected by Richard 
Boyle, Earl of Cork, to the memory of his second wife, 
Catherine, only daughter of Sir Geoffery Fenton, principal 
Secretary of State for Ireland.

'The upper stage of this monument is appropriated to Robert 
Weston, Dean of St. Patrick's Cathedral, whose effigy is 
placed under an arch, in a recumbent posture, arrayed in his 
Chancellor's robes.  Two slabs of black marble are placed 
under him, separated by a small coat of arms. On them is 
inscribed as follows: -

Here lyeth interred the body of that reverend, honorable, 
Gentleman, Robert Weston, Esq., Doctor of the civil and 
cannon lawes, grand-father to the Ladie Katherine Countess 
of Corke, being sometimes one of the Lords of Justices of 
Ireland, and for six years, Chancellor of this Realm. Who 
was so learned, judicious and upright in the course of 
judicature, as, in all the time of that employment, he never 
made order or decree that was questioned or reversed; he 
changed his mortall for an eternall life, the 20 of May 
1575; whose honorable memorie no time shall extinguish.

'Lower down are two arches, where the statues of Sir Geoffry 
and Lady Fenton, each in a praying posture, and dressed in 
robes of state.  Above them are two marble slabs, separated 
by cherubim and bearing the following inscriptions': -

Here lieth intombed the body of the twice honorable Sir 
Geoffray Fenton, Kt, Secretary and Privy Councellor to Queen 
Elizabeth and King James, of blessed memory, for the affairs 
of Ireland, and which imployment he preformed with great 
justice; he was father to the Ladie Katherine, Countess of 
Corke, and departed this life the 24 of October, 1608; whose 
workes and virtues will never die. In memorie of the 
honorable and virtuous ladie, the Ladie Alice Fenton, wife 
of Sir Geoffray Fenton, and Mother to the Ladie Katherine, 
Countess of Corke, whose religious and charitable courteous 
life was an example to her sex.  She decessed the 20 May 
1631, but will ever live in the happy remembrance of all 

'In the next stage of this monument are placed, recumbent on 
a table of black marble, the effigies of the Earl and 
Countess of Cork, clothed in their robes, mantles and 
coronets.  On the side of this table is the following 
inscription': -

This Monument was erected for the Right Honorable
Sr Richard Boyle, Ks, Lord Boyle, Baron of Yough | all,
Viscount of Dungarvan, Earl of Corke, Lord High
Treasurer of Ireland, of the King's Privy Counsell of
this  realm, and one of the Lordes Justices for the
Government of this Kingdom; in memory of his most
de | ar, virtuous and religious Wife, the Ladie Katherine,
Countess of Corke, and their Posteritie, as also of her
Grand-father Dr. Robert Weston, sometimes Lord
Chancellor of Ireland, and one of the Lordes Justices
for the Go | vernment thereof; whose daughter,


(from Mason's History of St. Patrick's)

Alice Weston, was married to Sir Geoffray Fenton, Ks, 
principal Secretary of | State in this Realm, and they had 
issue, the said Ladie Katherine Countess of Corke, who lieth 
here interred | with her said Father and Grand-father, who 
virtues she inherited on earth and lieth here intombed | 
with them, all expecting a joyfull resurrection.  Quae obit 
decimo sexton Februarii 1629.

Underneath the Earl and Countess are two arches, wherein are 
the statues of some of their children.  Between the arches 
is a table, whereon we read as follows''; -

AN	The issue of the Right		1
NO	Honorable Richard, Lord	6
DO	Boyle, Earl of Corke, and
	the Ladie Katherine his
	wyfe, with the armes		3
MI	of such of their daughters
NI	husbands as are married	1

'At the top of the monument is the well known motto of the 
Earl of Cork': -


Originally this monument stood against the east wall of the 
choir where the high altar used to be, and was built over 
the family vault, which was constructed at the same time 
(1681).  Owing to a strong objection to its position, after 
a long controversy, it was removed to a place inside the 
sacrarium in 1684; and in 1868, it was again removed to its 
present position against the south wall of the nave.' W. 

Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the 
Memorials of the Dead in Ireland Vol. 6. 1904, (FHL #