Cemetery: The Archbishop's Palace & St. Peter's Church 
Aungier Street

Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
Dublin Index


File contributed by:  C. Hunt & M.J. Bradley

    (From Lord Walter FitzGerald)

A portion of what was formerly the palace of the archbishops 
of Dublin is now converted into barracks for the 
Metropolitan Police.  These barracks are situated in 
Kevin-street, and are separated from St. Patrick's Cathedral 
precincts by Marsh's Library.  In that portion facing the 
latter building is a window of cut-stone work on the 
ground-floor, which was originally an old doorway into the 
palace.  Above it are inserted on the wall the two small 
slabs – one fairly modern; and the other, judging by the 
shape of the letters carved on it, belongs to the first half 
of the sixteenth century.

The more modern slab is of a bad quality of stone, and 
contains an incised inscription which is only legible in 
places, it reads:-

	A(N : D) O : 1723

The second and smaller slab is of limestones, and bears a 
shield with an archbishop's coat-of-arms impaling that of 
the Dublin diocese.  On the upper portion of the projecting 
frame of the tablet are the words, in raised letters:-


The shield, for supporters, has an angel on either side of 
it.  In the dexter half are the arms of the diocese:-  
Azure, and Episcopal staff argent, ensigned with a cross 
patée or ; surmounted by a pall of the second, edged and 
fringed with gold, with five crosses formée fitchée sable.

In the sinister half is a very much obliterated 
coat-of-arms, in the lower portion of which can be 
distinguished the stem of a tree with a branch(?) or two;  
the upper portion is defaced.  It is supposed, on the 
authority of Sir James WARE (who was born in 1594 and died 
in 1666) that this represents Archbishop Inge's arms 
(1521-1528), but this does not tally with Burke's “General 
Armoury” which describes the INGE family arms as “a chevron 
between three leopards' faces.”

Sir James WARE, in his account of the archbishops and 
bishops of Ireland, states that Dr. Hugh INGE succeeded 
William ROKEBY as Archbishop of Dublin in 1521.  “He 
repaired the Palace of St. Sepulchers, as his Arms placed in 
the Wall over the Palace Door, at the entrance from the 
publick Library, seem to testify.”  He died in Dublin of the 
English Sweat, on the 3rd of August, 1528, and was buried in 
St. Patrick's Church.

(From Mr. J.F. Fuller)
(Dublin, September 22nd, 1802)

	Sacred to the Memory of Lucy the wife of the Honrble
	Price BLACKWOOD who departed this life at the Gl*n
	near Raheney, on the 20th inst., and whose remains are
	deposited under this stone.  Aged 42 years.  This Tomb
	also contains …………………………………………..
	…………………….. father …………………………..
	(The remainder is broken off)

Burke's “Peerage” (under DUFFERIN) states that the fifth son 
of Sir John BLACKWOOD, second bart, was:-
	“Price, born 24th January 1760; married 29th August 
1787.  Louisa, second daughter and co-heir of William 
SOUTHWELL, Esq., which lady died the 20th of September, 
1802. “The Hon. Price BLACKWOOD died without issue in 1816.  
His mother was created Baroness Dufferin and Clandeboye in 
1800, with remainder to he male issue by her deceased 
husband, Sir John BLACKWOOD, bart.”

Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the 
Memorials of the Dead in Ireland Vol 6 (FHL # 0258795)