Down: DONAGHCLONEY: [WARING FAMILY]: BANGOR & DROMORE [BISHOP PERCY]

***********************************************
Ireland Genealogy  Projects Archives
Down  Index
Copyright
************************************************

Contributed by C. Hunt & M. Taylor
___________________________________________________________________

DONAGHCLONEY: [WARING FAMILY]: BANGOR & DROMORE [BISHOP PERCY]

[p59]                                PARISH OF DONAGHCLONEY
                [Contributed by the Revd. Edmond Dupre' ATKINSON, the Incumbent]
'Memorials of the departed in the Parish of Donaghcloney otherwise Church of the Holy Trinity,
Waringstown; originally built in 1681 by William WARING (purchaser of the property from one of
Cromwell's officers) as a chapel for himself and tenants, and subsequently constituted the
parish church, to replace the ancient Church of Donaghcloney, which had been ruined in the
Revolutionary wars.'
                        'Inscribed flags in nave of church':-
                                "REBECCA PITT 16...."
                                "JANE WARING 1694"
                                "HENRY WARING 1716"
                                "ARTHUR WARING 1690"
                                "WILLIAM WARING 1689"
                                "FRANCE WARING 1703"
                        _______________________________________________
[p60]        "To the memory of | William WARING | who built this church and presented it to the
        Parish if Donaghcloney | He was born in 1619 and died 27th July 1703 | Also of
        Samuel WARING son of William | born August 1660 died 16th December 1739 | Also of his
        sons | Samuel WARING born 11th July 1710; died 25th March 1793; | and Holt WARING, the
        Father of the Very Rev. Holt WARING | born 15 November 1722, died December 1805"
                                        ______
        'Monumental tablet now on the wall of the south aisle, not erected till after 1850.
        'Arm - Arg. on a bend sa., three mascles of the first.'
For full particulars of this family, see BURKE'S "Landed Gentry, 1871."" p. 1469

'Monument now on wall of south aisle':-
        "To the memory |of the Very Reverend Holt WARING DEAN OF Dromore | Born 2nd January 1766
        Died 30 September 1830|  For 52 years Rector of the Parish of Shankill | He married
        Elizabeth Mary | (Daughter of the Reverend Averell DANIELL | Rector of Lifford) | By
        whom, along with the other members of his family |this monument has been erected. |

        Beloved by his family, Esteemed and respected by his numerous friends | The Supporter of
        the Poor |He died regretted by all to whom he was known | In sure and certain hope | of
        the resurrection to eternal life Through our Lord Jesus Christ."
'The WARING Arms, No Crest. And MOTTO - NEC VI NEC ASTUTIA, are over the inscription.'
                                        ______
'On a wall of south aisle':-
        "To the Memory of | Thomas WARING, of Newry, Esq | He was born 11th October 1761 and
        died  4th March 1841 | Also | of Mary his wife, daughter of John GODDARD, Esq. | who died
        in January 1803. This monument has been erected by their sons |Major Henry WARING and
        Richard WARING"
                                        _______
'Memorial window in the aisle':-
        "In memory of Frances Grace wife | of Major Henry WARING, Daughter | of the Very Revd.
        Holt WARING died 28th Feby. 1860 Aged 57"
                                        _______
[p61]        'Inscription on font in south aisle':-
        "To Esther wife of Thomas WARING born 1836, Married 1858, Died 1873."
                                        _______
        'Tablet on the north wall of the nave':-
        "To the memory of Lieut. ATKINSON late of the 74th Regt. of Infantry who died
        13th Octr. 1830 aged 43 years.  This monument is erected by his brother Officers as
        a Testimonial of their high sense of his worth as an Man and a Soldier."
                        ________________________________________________________

                                BANGOR CHURCHYARD [LETTER-ADVERTISEMENT]
The following startling advertisement and letter has been sent to us.  The least we can say is
that it is very curious and certainly requires an explanation:-
        'To the Editor of the Ecclesiastical Gazette.
                CURIOUS ADVERTISEMENT
        'Sir - The enclosed advertisement, which has appeared for several days past in the
        'Belfast News-Letter' shows the estimation in which County Down people hold the ashes of
        their dead relatives; it shows, too, the way in which Church interests and Church property
        are cared for and conserved in this part of the country by those into hands such interests
        and property are temporarily entrusted;  yet experiences teaches that, because this is a
        robbery of the Church, your nominally Church paper will do nothing to expose and stop this
        dishonorable sale:_
                "NOTICE - TWO GRAVES AND HEADSTONE FOR SALE in Bangor Churchyard -
                Apply to Wm. HANNA, Bangor"        - Yours faithfully  J.G. BURTON

                        'The Rectory, Killinchy, County Down, June 8th, '95'
                                        _______

                                        DROMORE
                                        [From Mrs. LONG, Dublin]
        'Bishop PERCY'S monument in Dromore Cathedral':-
        "Near this place are interred the remains of the Right Rev. Thomas PERCY, DD. | Lord
        Bishop of Dromore. To which see he was promoted in May MDCCLXXXII from the Deanery
        of Carlisle in England.  This elevated station he filled nearly 30 years Residing
        constantly in his diocese and discharging the duties of his sacred office, with vigilance
        and zeal, Instructing the ignorant, relieving the necessitous.  And comforting the
        distressed with pastoral affection.
        Revered for his eminent piety and learning and beloved for his universal benevolence
        by all ranks he departed this [p62] on the xxxth day of September in the year of our
        Lord MDCCCXI, in the eighty-third year of his age.
        In the same grave are deposited the remains of ANNE, his wife, daughter of Bartin
        GOODRICHE, Esqre of Desborough in the County of Northampton, England whose estimable
        conduct through life rendered her the worthy partner of such a husband.  She died on the
        xxxth December MDCCCVI aged lxxiv years.  This memorial of dutiful affection is
        inscribed by their surviving daughters, Barbara ISTED and Elizabeth MEADE"

_______________________________________________________________________________________
SOURCE: Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland:
vol. V,  (FHL # 0258795)