Census Substitutes: Alsop's Survey for Aghadowey Parish 1765 *********************************************** Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives Derry Index Copyright ************************************************ Contributed by Thomas Mullin 1972 CENSUS SUBSTITUTES: ALSOP'S SURVEY FOR AGHADOWEY PARISH 1765 Co. Londonderry, Ireland List of Tenants, 1765: Killure: Mr. Robt. Givvin (has Bleach Green). Ballywilliam: 1/2 to William Wray and William Taylor, 1/2 to William Hanna and William and James Cochran. Drumcruin: John Brown, Nath. Bell, John Willson, John and Benjamin Cochran, Saml. Hunter. Kinneglass: 1/6 cach to Robt, Kennedy, Saml, Kennedy, Wm. Hunter, Hugh Hart, John Hart, John Cochran. Killeagh: 1/4 to Wm. Kennedy, 1/4 to another Wm. Kennedy, 1/3 to Wm. Tannhill, 1/6 to John Dempsey. Ballinuntagh: 1/4 to James Collins, 1/4 to Benjn. Boyd, 1/2 to John, Sam and Abram Boyd. Ballicaan: 1/3 to John McGomery and Elizth. Kenedy, 1/3 to James Dodd, John Cathrins and Hugh Dempsey, 1/3 to William Ross. Cluntagh: 1/3 to Davd. Johnson and Jas. O'Mullan, 1/3 to Martha Gibson, 1/3 to John Parkhill, James Brown and Andw. McBride. Balliclough: 1/3 to Alex. Tannahill, 1/3 to John Glass, Robt. Fulton and James Kenedy, 1/3 to Robt. and Wm. Kenedy and John Wier. Croscanley: James Mairs and James Elgin. Coldrum: Matthew Boyle. Cullans: John McQuade (has corn mill); Wm. Gatty and Hugh Moor; Danl. McCalaster (has tuck mill); Robt. Anderson, Wm. Hugh and Benj. Cochran; Wm. Spence and John Berresfiord. Knockduff: Andrew Delap, Wm. Anderson, Matthew Lean. A rabbit warren on the townland. Drimstable: James Gray, Thos. McMurtray, John Birney, Hugh Torrence. Scaltee: John Shirley. Rusky: Revd. Mr. Eldcr. Clonbecke, S. side: Patrick McCallastcr. N. side, Abram Fulton. Culcrow: Hugh Torrence has 1/3 of the Mill (Gold's'Mill), Robt. Stewart and partners, John Henry, Hugh Sheerly, James Sheerly and partners, George Moon, Jas. Neal and partners. Ballireagh: Robert SheerIy and Brothers has part called the Ree, William Gregg has part called Keelogs. Lissamore: Mr. Lecky. The boatman has 20 acres and the Ferry. Now called Figivie. Mullochmore: George Moon, Mr. Bristow, Mannas Boyle, Danl. Hagarty, Allan; McAllane, Donochy McAlees and partners, James O'Gillan, John O'Shale, John Crilly and Pat O'Birn. Glassghort: Robert Michel and Hugh Thompson, Part often under water until late in spring. Lanagivie: Upper part, Rev. Mr. Elder. Lower part, Robt, Sheerley. Also includes Roehan Park. Clarehill: Wm. Fulton, Robt. Knox, Andw, Hunter, Mattw. Brown, John McLure, Archibald McWillkin. Clunkeen: Upper part, Hugh Caldwell. Lower part, Duncan MaCallister. Carnamucklagh: Richard Boyle and partners, Jonathan Simpson and partner. Droughed (being part of Carnamucklagh and perhaps of Cliggan): John Carr. Culeaple: Isaac White and John Boyde. Mullaghinch Upper: 1/4 to Anthy. McKilroy, 1/4 to John MaKilroy, 1/4 to Jno. Alexander, 1/4 to Pat. Leverty, Jno. Dimpsey, Wm. Wallace, Thos. Stewart. Lower: No names given. Gortfad: Jas. Wellwood and partners. Ringrush: Alexr. Torrence. Cleggan: Upper, Wm. Henry and partner. Lower, Wm. Torrence and partner. Drimall: Danl. Dimpsey and partner. Dodley Dimpsey and partner. Risk: Dempsey and partners. Balliagan: Upper, Hugh Young and partner. Middle, John Orr and partner. Lower, John Wilson and partner. James Wilson has a Tuck Mill, an acre of land and 3 sums of grass. Ennishleen: Upper, Robt. Gilmore and partner. Lower, John Gilmore and partner. Carroreagh: Shan Tonner and partner, Wm. BIack and partner. Edenbann: John Dorans, Williiam and John Grahams. Trinultenagh: James, Wm. and John Dorans and Wm. Wallace. Tirkceran: Upper, John McCloy, John Holms, John Cochran, Henry Barton. Lower and Middle, Thos, Maxwell. Archilbald Fisher has 8 or 10 acres and the Mill. Gortcloughan: John Kenedy and Adam Linn. Machrymore: Upper part, Mrs. Clintin and partners. Mrs. Clinton's Park. Colbane and Slaghtaverty: Part to Thos. Kane, part to Mr, Forester, Drimban to Mr. Clinton. Dunaverney: Kane. Lisnacreog: A multitude. Mrs. Sarah Bryan's rent roll has in places different names, and may reffect an earlier period. In this, Robt Shirla and Robt. Stewart have part of Culcrow and Drumstaple and have Dickboy. Robert Stewart and James Shirla are in Ree, with James Shirla having a bleach yard. Lanagivey is held by Rev. John Elder, Rev, Robert Higginbotham and Thomas Ramadge, Agivey is held by Rev, John Elder and Edmund GilIan has 1/2 of Agivey Ferry and some land.