Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

County Carlow Obituaries
Mr. Sean O’Leary


Mr. Sean O’Leary

Last year’s Carloviana had only gone to press when we learned of the death of Mr. Sean O’Leary, who had been honorary secretary of the Old Carlow Society for 21 years. He had submitted his usual comprehensive report and list of members for the 1989/90 Journal, and had checked the proof before his final illness.

Sean O’Leary was a native of Cullahill, Co. Laois, and on qualifying as a teacher, took up an appointment at Graiguecullen N.S. He was also qualified to teach Irish to teachers, and set up classes in the Carlow area.

He was involved in all the parochial activities of Graiguecullen. When it was decided to transfer St. Anne’s Church from Carlow to Graiguecullen, Sean was secretary of the committee set up to raise the necessary funds. The project was completed in 1929 when St. Clare’s Church was opened.

He was also secretary of the committee which was responsible for the building of the St. Fiacc’s Schools in 1941.

But it was as secretary of the Old Carlow Society that Sean O’Leary was best known to our readers. This is the first issue of Carloviana since 1968 that lacks Sean’s detailed annual report of the society’s activities. When we say ‘detailed’, we mean just that, for Sean was renowned for his comprehensive report on the year’s lectures and outings in each issue.

His minutes of annual and committee meetings were also noted for their completeness and accuracy. Researchers of Old Carlow Society’s affairs will be grateful for the industry of Sean O’Leary in recording events. This writer has the experience of knowing that his reports have been consulted on two occasions in the recent past to verify facts.

Sean in his retirement years was always ready to conduct visitors on historical tours of the town. The County Carlow Museum was another of his interests, where he was happy to explain the exhibitions, particularly to schoolchildren. The Old Carlow Society will miss his enthusiasm for promoting the study and recording of our local history.

May he rest in peace.

 W F.

Source: Carloviana 1990/1991 No. 38

Graiguecullen Teacher's Promotion.

Mr Sean O' Leary, who has been for almost seven years Assistant teacher in Graiguecullen has been appointed Principal in succession to Mr. Dan Fenlon. Since Mr O'Leary came to Graiguecullen in 1922 he has won golden opinions amongst all classes. His appointment to the Principalship of this school at an early age is a tribute to his ability and success as a teacher.

[Note added 2011. St. Clare's Catholic Church was formerly St. Anne's, Church of Ireland (Protestant) on the Athy Road, Carlow,) it was sold to Graiguecullen parish for a nominal sum and removed stone by stone to a new site across the river Barrow. Mr. O' Leary remained as a teacher in Graiguecullen for at least 40 years.

Nationalist and Leinster Times. Oct. 1929.

Dedication of St, Clare's Church.

The newly-erected Catholic Church in Graiguecullen will be solemnly dedicated by Most Rev. Dr. Cullen, Bishop of the Diocese, on Sunday next, 13th inst. A special sermon will be delivered by, Rev. Fr. Hannon S.J. Rector of Milltown Park.

Seats will be reserved in the Sanctuary and transepts for all who wish to avail of them. St. Clare's Church will accommodate eleven hundred people and it is confidently expected that the congregation on Sunday will not be less than this figure.

Next Page - Bishop Patrick Lennon

Please report any images or links which do not open to
The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

Back to the top