- Wykeham House, Muine Bheag, Carlow
- Photos is by Michael Ahern <http://www.panoramio.com/>
- Wykeham House OSi Map 1841
Once a dower house of the
Bagenal’s, it is beautifully ornamental and proud. It stands out most
strikingly on the route between Leighlinbridge and Bagenalstown.
Argueably the oldest house in the area, being late Elizabethan or early
Jacobian style, it adds beauty to one of the river Barrow's most
magnificent reaches. Its gorgeous windows inset in walls of cut stone
are stately and dignified.
Once owned by Lady French, she
named it after a famous ancestor, William of Wykeham, Archbishop of
Winchester and Lord Privy Seal to Edward 111. And according to the late
Edward Byrne he founded a college in Oxford, and Winchester College, the
motto of which is "Manners maketh the man•. Of the family Richard
Chenevixs Trent was Archbishop of Dublin and Dean of Westminster.
He penned "French on Words", a
history of the origins of the English language. A noted Polylinguist, he
was proficient in fifteen languages. When he died in 1882 he was buried
in the abbey at Westminster alongside the grave of the unknown soldier.
The French and Chapman families who lived here included among their
cousins that famous adventurer, Lawrence of Arabia.
Source: Carloviana 1995/96 NO. 43
Thornton Papers: About 120 letters and associated items relating to the
families of Fitzgerald, Forbes and Thornton in the states of Kentucky
and Virginia, 18-19th cent. Formerly in possession of Miss M. B. Bayliss,
Wykeham House, Muine Bheag, Co. Carlow, now deposited in National
Library of Ireland.