Urglin, or Rutland, a parish, in
the barony and county of Carlow, and province of Leinster, 2 1/4
miles (E. N. E.) from Carlow, on the road from that town to
Castledermot; containing 977 inhabitants. This parish comprises 3080
statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 2715
per annum: the greater part of the land is in small holdings, and
the system of agriculture is improving.
The seats are Burton Hall,
the residence of W. F. Burton, Esq., pleasantly situated on a rising
ground in a finely planted demesne, approached by a long and wide
avenue of trees; Rutland House, of -- Mosse, Esq.; Rutland Lodge, of
E. Burton, Esq.; Johnstown, of T. Elliott, Esq.; Benekerry Lodge, of
E. Gorman, Esq.; Mount Sion, of B. Colclough, Esq; and Benekerry
House, of Mrs. Newton.
At Palatinetown there is a constabulary
station, and a fair is held there on the 26th of March. The living
is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, united in 1713 to the
rectory of Grangeforth, and by act of council, in 1803, to the
impropriate cure of Killerick, and in the patronage of the Bishop:
the tithes amount to 250, and of the union to 542. 19. 2 3/4.
church is a neat plain building with a spire, erected in 1821 by aid
of a loan of 700 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C.
divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Tullow,
and partly in that of Tinriland, and contains a chapel belonging to
the latter division, situated at Benekerry. About 50 children are
taught in a public school, and 110 in two private schools.