Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Slyguff (Sliguff)
Co. Carlow

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Images of Slyguff Lock

    Slyguff Lock House on the river Barrow. Source: The Barrow Way website
    OS map of Sliguff Lock
    Source: OSi Maps
    Slyguff Lock House on the river Barrow. Source:
    Slyguff, a parish, in the barony of Idrone East,
    County of Carlow, and province of Leinster

    From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) by Samuel Lewis
    Slyguff, a parish, in the barony of Idrone East, county of Carlow, and province of Leinster, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Leighlin-bridge, on the road from Goresbridge to Bagnalstown, and on the river Barrow; containing 2092 inhabitants. This parish comprises 6381 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and extends from the eastern bank of the river Barrow to the summit of Mount Leinster, a distance of seven miles; there is a considerable quantity of bog. Fairs are held on Feb. 12th and Nov.
    1st for general farming stock. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming part of the union of Lorum; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of Leighlin. The tithes amount to 319. 12. 3., of which 221. 10. 9. is payable to the dean and chapter, and 98. 1. 6. to the vicar. Divine service is performed every Sunday in a school-house in the parish. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the unions or districts of Borris and Dunleckney.
    At Killoughternane is a national school, and at Ballinree is a school endowed by Miss Newton, in both which are about 150 children. The ruins of the ancient church within a burial-ground stand beautifully above the course of the river Barrow. Here are also the ruins of Ballylaughan castle, formerly belonging to the Kavanaghs, from whom it passed to other proprietors about the close of the sixteenth century.
    It is a picturesque pile, and, though now roofless, is about 50 feet high, with projecting round towers in front, flanking the gateway, which is arched with hewn stone. The walls are about five feet thick, and the second floor, supported by an arch, still remains, and is gained by a flight of steps. It is now the property of Col. Bruen, who intends to restore it. About eighteen yards distant is another ruin, 30 feet square and 20 high, with walls of equal thickness; and beyond this is a third, of smaller dimensions. Near them is a large old dwelling-house of the Beauchamp family. In 1806 was found an ancient cloak-clasp of gold, weighing 4 oz., and beautifully carved, which was purchased by the Dublin Royal Society for 20.

    Slyguff Cemetery
    The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
    2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved