- Old Killabban Schoolhouse (now a nursery) built in 1847.
old bluestone 2 room School with Headmasterís quarters has been
converted into spacious living quarters.
(Some of this article
appeared in the1986 edition of the 'Carloviana' and was
written by John Byrne).
of Peter Walker, July 2001)
The walls of the old Abby can be seen from
the markings in the field bottom right of the picture.
Google Street view of Killabban c2020
- These two pitcures
an aerial view of Killabban in Co. Laois which shows the old school
and the ruins of the old church in
the bottom of the picture. The village can bee seen at the top of
the picture on the left.
Plan of the old Killabban Village and Church
Killabban Parish Church before its partial
by M. Brennan
Killabban Parish Church
after its partial extensive restoration. Source:
- (Click on images to enlarge)
Killabban (Killeban, or Killabin)
According to the
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Ireland 1837
by Samuel Lewis
|KILLEBAN, or KILLABIN, a parish, partly in the barony
of BALLYADAMS, but chiefly in that of SLIEUMARGUE,
QUEEN'S county and
province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Athy, on the road from that
place to Kilkenny; containing 9776 inhabitants. It includes the villages of
Arles, Ballylinan, and Ballickmoyler, which are separately described, and
comprises 24,749 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act.
is generally fertile, and chiefly in pasture, with some bog and mountain;
the system of agriculture is improving. Limestone, flag-stone, and sandstone
are quarried, and at Newtown are extensive collieries: there are also
collieries at Modubah, Tellerton, Corgeo, and Hunt's Park. Fairs are held at
Mayo on June 29th and Oct. 18th; and manorial court is held at
principal seats are Cooper Hill, the residence of W. Cope Cooper, Esq.;
Ashfield Hall, of P. Gale, Esq.;
Rahin, of Lieut.- Col. Weldon; Tollerton, of
Hovendon Stapleton, Esq.; Killeen, of M. Dillon Thomas, Esq.;
the Bambrick family; Ardeateagle, of W. Fitzmaurice, Esq.; and
of W. Fishbourne, Esq.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin,
and in the gift of the Crown. The tithes amount to £1292. 6. 1Ĺ. Here are
two churches, one at Castletown and the other at Mayo, for the erection of
one of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813, gave £800; and the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £108 for the repairs of
that at Castletown, and £172 for that at Mayo. There is neither glebe-house
nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms the head of two unions or
districts, one called Ballyadams and Arles, which has chapels at those
places and at Killeen; the other called Mayo and Doonane, which is united
with the parish of Rathaspick, and has chapels at Mayo and Doonane.
400 children are educated in four public schools, to three of which the
rector subscribes, and 640 in 16 private schools; there are also six Sunday
St. Abban founded a monastery here in 650, in which he is said to
have been interred: there are some remains of its church. There are also
remains of the old church of Arles, and of the ancient castle of Hovendon,
over the entrance to which are quartered the arms of the Leinster and
Ormonde families. Near Castletown church is a well, which supplies water
enough to turn a mill in its immediate vicinity.
information contained in these pages is provided solely for the
purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in
- © Michael Brennan July 2001. All Rights
TOP OF PAGE