- Church of St John the Baptist, Grange.
- Source: Tullow Parish Websites
Grange Church of St John the Baptist, Grange Grange RC church (Church
of St John the Baptist) is located at Grangechapel and located about 5km
north west of Tullow and on the north east of the road from Castledermot
(R418). The cemetery is adjacent.
Grange (Grainseach, a Monastic Granary – Irish word borrowed from
The present Church in Grange dates back to 1822. Its style is Barn
Type- Rectangular. When Fr. Patrick Keogh, Administrator Tullow Parish,
renovated the Church, in the 1980’s the work cost £80,000 while the
original Church cost £100.
In 1148 the Cistercians founded Baltinglass Abbey. The estate
headquarters in Baltinglass was known as the Abbey Demesne, and
out-farms were known as “Granges” The Knights Hospitaller of St John of
Jerusalem staffed the churches of Killerig and Friarstown from the end
of the 12th Century. The site for the present church was secured in
1821, and a thatched church 57′ x 25′ was constructed.
Cemetery County Carlow
Please report any images which do not open to
- The information
contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of
sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,
IGP TM By
Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved
TOP OF PAGE