Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Cloydagh or Clody aka Clogrennane
Co. Carlow

The graveyard entrance in Clogrennan Desmene at Clody. Co. Carlow.

The old Clody Church (ruin) and graveyard are marked on the OSi map and Cloydah village is off to the east.

The old Clody Church (ruin) and graveyard are marked on the Google street map.

The Ruins of Clody Church in Clogrennan Desmene. Co. Carlow

Photo images from Carloviana 2010 page 87.

A Topographical Dictionary
of Ireland

by Samuel Lewis 1837

Cloydagh or Clody
also called Clogrennane, Co. Carlow

parish, partly in the barony of Slievemargy, Queen's county, and partly in the barony of Carlow, but chiefly in that of Idrone west, county Carlow, and province of Leinster, on the river Barrow, which is navigable to Waterford, 2½ miles (s.w. by s) from Carlow on the road to Leighlin-bridge; containing 1422 inhabitant’s, and comprising 4737 statue acres, of which 290 are Woodlands, and 3764 acres are applotted under the tithe act and valued at f3774 per annum.

The state of agriculture is very good, limestone abounds, and is applied both as manure and for buildings: there are limekilns on a large scale, the produce of which is chiefly conveyed into counties of Wicklow and Wexford. Coal also abounds, and is worked extensively. Sessions are held quarterly at Milford. Here are extensive corn-mills and malt-kilns, in Which about 100 persons are employed. The principal seats are Clogrennan Castle, the residence of Col. Rochford; Milford, of J. Alexander, Esq.; Fonthill, of W. Fishbourne, Esq., and Lenham Lodge, of Capt. Butler.

Clogrennan was formerly an estate of the Dukes of Ormonde. and gave the title of baron in the Irish peerage to the Earls of Arran. The castle was taken by Sir. Peter Carew, 1568, from Sir. E. Butler, who was then in rebellion: in 1642 it was besieged by the Irish but was relieved by Col. Sir. P Wemys; and here the Marquess of Ormonde mustered his forces prior to the battle of Rathmines.

The ruins, overgrown with ivy and forming a remarkly picturesque object, yet exist, together with the remains of an old church, near the present house, which is approached through one of its gateways. The grounds, which are very beautiful are bordered on the west by the mountains of the Queen's county, the sides of which are clothed with wood to a considerable height, and on the east by the course of the Barrow, adorned by several well-wooded islets. On the Bawn-Ree, Jas. II. Encamped after his defeat at the battle of the Boyne. Some curious relics of antiquity, including brazen swords and arrow-heads, were found in a ford across the Barrow, about 1¼ mile distant, in 1819. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in Col. Bruen and W. Fishbourne, Esq.

The tithes amount to £276. 18. 5‘/2., of which £92. 6. 1s. Is payable to the vicar, and the remainder to the lay impropriators. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £400 and a loan of £360 from the late Board of First Fruits, in the 1813; the glebe comprises six acres, subject to a rent of £4. 4s. per acre. The church, a plain neat edifice in good repair, was built by aid of a gift of £500 from the same Board in 1803, and to the repairs of is the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently made a grant of £167. 5.11. In the R.C. divisions this parish is in the union or district of Old Leighlin, and has a chapel. Besides the parochial school, there is one in the chapel-yard at Ballinabranna; the number of children in these schools is about 150; and in a hedge school are taught about 90 children. The ruins of the old church are in the demesne of Clogrennan; the cemetery is still used.

Source: Carloviana 2010 page 87.

The following is from the 'Archaeological Inventory of County Carlow.' p. 65 & 89:

Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites  

547 CLOGRENAN OS 7:13:1 (61,131) 'Church (in ruins), Graveyard' OD 300-400 26875,17295 Church and graveyard Undifferentiated late medieval parish church of Cloydagh. According to ITA Survey (1945), church attached to Augustinian Monastery of Great Connall, Co. Kildare.
Remains consist of rectangular church (ext Dims 19.3m x 7.10m), of limestone rubble with granite quoins. Church has opposed N and S doorways and late medieval window with pointed arch of chamfered granite.
Plain window in S wall of chancel. May incorporate parts of earlier structure, suggested by blocked narrow lintelled ope in N wall close to W end. Door in S wall formerly included face mask with bulbous features (possibly modern) on W jamb; arch and jamb now removed. Piscina with moulded granite surround at E end of S wall. Incorporated in W gable is stone with incised cross, of pre-Norman date. 7:39 15-1-1992

Please report any images or links which do not open to

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved