- 1736-1999 Memorial to William Byrne,
Frank Doyle, Laurence Murray & Richard Ryan.
- Source: Judith Acaster The Village of
Clonmore on Facebook
A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland,
By Samuel Lewis.
CLONMORE, a parish, in the
barony of RATHVILIY, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2½
miles (S. S. W.) from Hacketstown, on the road from Tullow to
Hacketstown and Tinahely; containing 2244 inhabitants. It comprises
26,210 statute acres, of which about 2430 are covered with heath and
furze, 130 are Woodlands, and 1500 bog, and of the remainder,
one-fifth is arable and the rest a kind of pasture and meadow: of
its entire surface, 5855 acres are applotted under the tithe act.
There are some indications of agricultural improvement, although a
considerable quantity of unprofitable land might be reclaimed and
brought under tillage. Clonmore Lodge is the residence of
Lieut.-Col. Whelan ; Castle View, of the Rev. R. A. Martin; and the
glebe-house, of the Hon. and Rev. Archdeacon Stopford.
The living is
a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and constitutes the corps of
the archdeaconry of Leighlin, in the patronage of the bishop: the
tithes amount to £304. 12. 3¾. The glebe-house was built about 1812,
by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £450 from the late Board of
First Fruits: the glebe comprises ten acres. The church, a plain
decent edifice, was built about the same period, by aid of a gift of
£600 from the Board. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head
of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Clonmore, Liscoleman, and Mullinacuffe, and parts of those of Haroldstown,
Aghold, Crecrim, and Fennagh: the chapel at Clonmore is a plain
slated building, not in very good repair; and there are two others
in the union, situated at Knockballastine and Kilquiggan, in the
parishes of Liscoleman and Aghold. There are a parochial and a
national school, affording instruction to about 180 children,
including several sent hither from the Foundling Hospital in Dublin.
At a short distance from the church are the venerable ruins of the
castle, the origin of which, though not satisfactorily ascertained,
is with some degree of probability attributed to the Earl of
Ormonde, to whom the place was granted in the reign of Hen. VIII.,
although the castle of Clonmore is recorded to have been taken by
the English in 1332. The ruins form three sides of a quadrangle, l70
feet square, of which the fourth has been demolished; at the angles
are towers, and the whole was surrounded by a deep fosse, now filled
up; several cabins have been built within the walls. Clonmore gives
the inferior title of Baron to the Earl of Wicklow.
Please report any links or images which do not open to
- The information contained
in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing
with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,
TOP OF PAGE