Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

The Carlow Sentinal

Source: Pat Purcell Papers & Michael Purcell plus Susie Warren

Carlow Sentinel.

February 1849.


Colonel Bunbury, of Moyle, has presented the Rev. J.B. Magennis, the Rector of Rathvilly, with the sum of £500, as his subscription towards the repairs and improvement of the Parochial Church of Rathvilly.

This munificent donation reflects credit on the kind and generous donor, who thus secures encreased accommodation in the Parochial Church of his ancestors.

[article underneath]

CAPTAIN M'CLINTOCK BUNBURY, M.P. -- We are gratified to learn that Captain Bunbury, who was ill from influenza in London, is in a state of convalescence, and will in a few days be able to attend his parliamentary duties.

Carlow Sentinel.

April 22, 1849.



About four o'clock on the morning of the 19th April 1849, two notorious characters, named James Kehoe and James Nolan, were arrested by Constable Cox and a party of Constabulary, while on patrol in the vicinity of the town.

They were concealed on the Railway, having in their possession the carcases of three sheep, which were subsequently identified as the property of Captain B. McClintock Bunbury, M.P., and had been killed on the lands of Moyle.

The prisoners, who are professional sheep-stealers, were fully committed by C.H. Tuckey, Esquire, Resident Magistrate, to abide their trial at the ensuing Quarter Sessions.

Much credit is due to Constable Cox and his party for the capture of two of a gang who live by the plunder of the gentry and farmers of the neighbourhood.


Carlow Sentinel.

May 5th 1849.



On Thursday, Patrick Lucas, a notorious sheep-stealer who absconded some weeks since, was committed to the county gaol by Charles H. Tuckey, Esquire, Resident Magistrate.

Lucas was one of the gang concerned in killing two sheep, the property of Captain B. McClintock Bunbury, M.P., and escaped the morning of the capture of his companions; he was pursued to England by Constable Cox, who, following closely in his track, arrested Lucas near Grantham.

Much credit is due to this active constable for his zeal and activity in effecting the capture of the last of this gang of marauders.

Pat Purcell Papers 1849.

Surnames mentioned: Hutton, Tuckey, Watters, Elliott, Haughton, McMahon, Dowse, McMullen, Anderson, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Cummins, Dunne, Corrigan, Casey, Cummins, Coffey, Morris, Hanlon, Birkett, Nolan, Kenny, Hughes, Watson, Kenny, Lucas, Smyth, Kehoe, Purcell, Coxe, Byrne, Brennan, Crosby, Burgess, McClintock Bunbury, and Lawlor.


1949, Sheep, Cow and Flour stealers.

The Carlow Sentinel.

June 23rd 1849.



The sessions for the division of Carlow were opened on Monday last, by Henry Hutton, Esquire, Assistant Barrister.

His worship was assisted in the criminal business by Charles H. Tuckey, Resident Magistrate, Henry Watters, Samuel Elliott and Thomas Haughton, Esquires.


The following gentlemen were sworn on the grand jury:

Major McMahon, foreman: Thomas Dowse, Richard McMullen, Geroge William Anderson, Edward M. Fitzgerald, Stanley Johnson, John Cummins, Richard Dunne, William Corrigan, John Casey, Owen Cummins, A. Coffey, James Morris, John Hanlon, Henry Birkett, Garret Nolan, Robert Kenny, James Hughes, James Watson and Robert Lawlor.


Three men, named James Nolan, Patrick Lucas and James Kehoe, were indicted for having, on the night of the 19th of March 1849, on the lands of Moyle, killed and carried away three sheep, the property of Captain William B. McClintock Bunbury, Esquire, M.P.

*~~ Mr James Smyth being sworn, proved that on finding the skins, etc., of the sheep on the field, he noticed one of them, which had the tail attached to it, and which exactly corresponded with one of the carcases found in the police barrack at Carlow; the remaining skins and carcases also corresponded, so that he felt no hesitation in identifying them as the property of Captain Bunbury.

Constable Coxe proved that he saw the prisoners coming in the direction from Moyle, about 4 o'clock on the following morning, with the carcases of the sheep tied up in three bags, and that on seeing him two of the prisoners made off, leaving Kehoe, whom he arrested; he afterwards arrested Nolan in his bed, and Lucas, who absconded, he arrested in Grantham, in England, where Lucas made a declaration of his guilt before the mayor of the town, and a Justice of the Peace.

Mr Tuckey deposed to a declaration made by James Nolan on the morning of his being arrested, stating that he (Nolan) together with Lucas and Kehoe did on the night of the 19th of March 1849, kill and take off the lands of Moyle three sheep, the property of Captain Bunbury.

The prisoners were found guilty and were sentenced to seven years' transportation.

Mr Burgess appeared for Kehoe, one of the prisoners.


Joseph Brennan pleaded guilty to stealing a cow, the property of Mr Kenny of New Garden, Carlow. He was sentenced to seven years' transportation.

TUESDAY - Second Day.

Martin Purcell and a young lad named Thomas Crosby were indicted for taking a bag of flour from, and with assaulting a young lad named Thomas Byrne; they were found guilty, and sentenced to 12 months imprisonment in Carlow Gaol.


The Carlow Sentinel.

16th July 1849.


A few weeks since Mr. George W. Anderson, of this town, lost a sum of £700, which it was generally believed was dropped on the Railway. Large rewards had been offered, but without effect.

On yesterday however, a servant, while brushing an outside coat felt something like a small parcel at the bottom of the coat, protected only by the lining.

On further examination, the above sum was found; the parcel, it appears, having fallen through the pocket, and was carefully deposited on the seam between the cloth and the lining.

It is unnecessary to add, that we feel peculiar pleasure in detailing the particulars of this fortunate discovery.

Transcribed by M. Purcell c2012

Carlow Sentinel.

December 1st 1849

Annual Meeting


The County Carlow and Leighlin Diocesan Auxiliary to The Irish Society

On December 1st 1849, The Carlow Sentinel’s Local Intelligence column reported on the “Annual Meeting Of The County Carlow And Leighlin Diocesan Auxilliary To The Irish Society”. There had actually been two meetings, held the previous week in the Assembly Rooms in Carlow Town, one in the morning (or forenoon), the other in the evening. Among the main speakers were the Rev. Thomas Moriarty from Ventry and the Rev John N Griffin from Harold’s Cross, Dublin.

‘At the morning meeting, on the motion of Captain McClintock Bunbury, MP, seconded by the Rev J. S. Cooper, Colonel Bruen, MP, Vice-President, was called to the chair. The meeting opened with singing and prayer’.

The Rev. JP Garrett commenced proceedings by reading a letter from William D Hull, hon sec of the Irish Society, which stated that the Carlow Auxiliary contributed more than any other auxiliary in the previous year. A letter was also received from Lady H Kavanagh enclosing a draft of £10 for the Auxiliary and £2 for the Protestant Orphan Society. The Rev. Garrett then turned to ‘the awful pestilence which swept through their town within a few months.

They stood as it were over the graves of five hundred of their fellow creatures who a short time since enjoyed the same life and health as they did that day, and how grateful to Almighty God they should feel for all his mercies, when they were spared, while so many were struck down by the fearful visitation. He then proposed that the Words of Divine Truth upon which salvation depended should be conveyed to Ireland’s ‘poor benighted countrymen through the medium of their own language’ a language so dear to the heart of the Irish (hear, hear). He begged to remind the meeting that 66,000 of the Irish-speaking people of Ireland die yearly, hitherto neglected, without Christ or a knowledge of the true way of salvation.

The Irish Society had extended itself into 16 counties, had 63 auxiliaries, 823 schools and teachers, above 33,000 scholars, and had distributed about 30,000 Bibles, Testaments and Elementary Books in the Irish language during the past year. He concluded with an earnest appeal on behalf of the Society.

Captain Bunbury then proposed the following resolution:

‘That we rejoice to hear of the continual and increasing disposition of the Irish speaking population to receive Scriptural instruction in their own language, and of the success with which it has pleased God to accompany the operations of the Irish Society during the past year. We are strengthened in our convictions that the principles and proceedings of this Society are eminently calculated to meet the great Spiritual wants of the Irish speaking population, and we confidently affirm that without the free use of God’s Holy Word and sound Scriptural instruction, our country never can be prosperous and happy.

We therefore, are determined in God’s strength to continue our support of this Society both by our fervent prayers and contribution, and we earnestly entreat our English brethren to give us more efficient aid to carry out this work of love and mercy on our native land’.

Echoing a sentiment my father would empathize with, the Rev. Thomas Moriarty took up the argument. ‘The Irish were the most religious people in the world and if, at the Reformation, the Holy Scripture had been expounded to them in their native language, Ireland would not now be a disunited people, inveigled in ignorance and sin, but would enjoy the freedom which shone so conspicuous ion England and Scotland’. [The Carlow Sentinel, 1832 -1920, Local Studies Department, Carlow Central Library.]

Note from Michael Purcell 2012

In 1570 Queen Elizabeth 1 commissioned the first ever printing of the Bible and other religious tracts in the Irish language. During her recent vist the present Queen Elizabeth viewed one of the books in Trinity College. It was said that Elizabeth 1 spoke Irish to the Irish chieftains when they called on her in London in 1562.

Carlow Sentinel.

Reopening Of Rathvilly Church 1849

On December 15th 1849, The Carlow Sentinel reported on the ‘Reopening Of Rathvilly Church’. On Sunday, the 2nd instant, the Parish Church of Rathvilly was reopened for divine service, having been closed for extension and improvement during several months when the Hon and Ven Archdeacon Stopford preached an appropriate sermon on the occasion. A lathe addition has been built to this chapel, principally in the ‘Tudor style’ of architecture, and is capable of affording ninety new sittings. It consists of transept and recessed chancel, with vestry entrance and porches. The external appearance of the edifices presents those peculiar features of English Church architecture, not only in the construction of the new work, but also by the introduction of suitable tracery windows into the old portion of the building, which gives the entire a finished appearance.

The interior is fitted up in a style corresponding with the exterior. The pulpit is made of old Irish oak, beautifully panelled and enriched with elaborately carved figures and foliage ornaments. The reading desk is also tastefully adorned with rich Gothic trancery, as are also the chancel, ceiling and walls, especially the ceiling which, after an elegant design, is formed of ribbed oak. The architect was the late Daniel Robertson, Esq, an eminent Scotchman, whose designs were chaste and original, and his views were ably carried out by Mr Kingsmill, the well-known and distinguished builder.

The funds for this enlargement so necessary to accommodate the increasing congregation of the parish was raised by subscription, through the active, and we may add, the unceasing effort of the worthy rector, the Rev. J.B. Magennis. Among the subscribers we may allude to Colonel Bunbury, whose munificent donations amounted to £500. The county members subscribed largely; also the Hon. Wingfield Stratford, the Messrs Duckett and Hutchinsons, and many others who must feel a pride in contemplating a work dedicated to the service of the Almighty, while affording a praiseworthy encouragement to the unprecedented exertions and well-directed zeal of the rector, who first proposed the enlargement of the church. Well might the venerable preacher, when addressing a crowded congregation on the auspicious occasion referred to, remark that Protestant zeal or feeling was not on the decline while such edifices exhibited the zeal and piety of those who assisted in its erections.

Carlow Sentinel.

On Sunday night last, about ten o'clock, a body of about 300 men, many of them armed,  followed by 130 horses and cars, proceeded to Rathmore, where a man named Fenlon holds a farm of sixty acres from John Leonard, Esq., of Newtownmountkennedy.  This formidable body carried off the produce of twenty acres of corn, in the presence of the agent, who lives on the spot, and his assistants, and also of a party of police.  On the following morning it was ascertained that the corn was stacked at Ardristan and on a farm near Kilbrid; the agent seized on it, and place it in the charge of bailiffs. - Carlow Sentinel. Publication: Nation 1842-1897; Date: Sep 22, 1849; Section: None; Page: 6

This information was transcribed and supplied by Susie Warren c.2014


From: Michael Purcell <>

 Cholera in Carlow 1849.

 Letter in the Pat Purcell Papers on the headed notepaper of Thomas Crawford Butler, Attorney, published in the Limerick Chronicle of September 1849 and later published in the Carlow Sentinel, September 1849.


----A letter from Carlow received this morning at the Limerick Chronicle

office, says:-----I write to say I am yet spared through one of the most awful scenes ever witnessed here.

The cholera has been most dreadful. This week "hundreds" died.

It was most awful on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

The church and grave yards are all crammed with dead bodies, and a new grave yard was this day opened by Colonel Bruen.

Mr Burgess, the Attorney, the two Misses Hodges, Mrs McDowell, Mr Richard White, and Mr Hackett, are amongst the dead; also Mrs Kehoe, and the son of Mr Pat Oliver.

The deaths exceeded 100 daily, and a dozen bodies were interred together in one grave.

[Note added by Michael Purcell 2014 - The Bruen " new grave yard" referred to in the letter, was opened alongside the Old Graves on the Barrow Track.

Portion of which now joins Shaw Park the remainder of the plot was dug up to build the Gas Works in Montgomery Street (later Jim Brennan's Meat factory.)

Doctor Porter, Medical Officer to the Board of Guardians in Carlow, later went on record to state "this letter is an exaggerated report, as the deaths recorded in Carlow are 137 in August and 61 from the Cholera and 50 deaths with cause not diagnosed, to the present day of 12th September 1849".

On the back of the letter Pat Purcell wrote " this letter may have been sent from Ellen Bolger who acted as record-keeper for Thomas Crawford Butler and who herself died aged 28 that same month.

On the 1st September 1849 the wife, Sera Barbour and two children, John and Anne of my great-grandfather, Sam Snoddy, died from the Cholera and were buried, without his knowledge, in Knockaunnarelic burial site in Pollerton Little. Account of this event is recorded in "The Cursed Famine" on the Carlow IGP website.]

[ PREVIOUS ] [ NEXT  1850 ]

Please report any images or broken links which do not open to

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 County Carlow Genealogy IGP