Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)
A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
BENDENSTOWN or GILBERTSTOWN
A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland Carlow
By Samuel Lewis 1837:
BENDENSTOWN or GILBERTSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Tullow, on the road to Leighlin; containing 567 inhabitants. Building stone is found, and there is some bog. Prior to 1830 the parish formed part of the union of Aghade. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £250.0.8. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Ballon and Ratoe, comprising the parishes of Gilbertstown, Ballon, Kellistown, Templepetre, Aghade, and parts of Fennagh and Urglin, in which union are two chapels, situated at Ballon and Ratoe. About 180 children are educated in a national school.
24 October 1785
Description Map of Emblicaun, part of the lands of Bendenstown, county Carlow, which belongs to Graves Chamney, esquire. The mapped land is shown in three lots and occupiers are named as James Nowlan, Phelim Tallon and Michael Nowlan. Their signatures are on verso however, the second name occupier gives his name as Felix Tallon. Extent of mapped land is 48 acres, 3 roods and 35 perches plantation measure. Map drawn in ink and watercolours and shows the road to Carlow town. Surveyed by Laurence Nowlan at cost of £0.12.3.
Please report any links or images which do not open email@example.com
- The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright