Lea Civil Parish
County Leix/Laois

Barony Portnahinch, Slievemargy
Poor Law Union Mountmellick, Carlow
Catholic Diocese Kildare & Leighlin
Catholic Parish Portarlington

 

LEA, or LEY, a parish, in the barony of PORTNEHINCH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Dublin to Maryborough; containing, with the greater part of the post-town of Portarlington and with the village and post-town of Ballybrittas (both separately described), 7926 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the north-eastern part of the county, and bounded on the north-east and north-west by the river Barrow, which separates it from the county of Kildare and King's county. From its central situation and proximity to the Barrow it was selected, on the seizure of Leix and the rest of the province of Leinster by Strongbow, as one of the first settlements of the English; and a strong castle was erected here, either by William, Earl Marshall, by the family of De Vesci, or by William de Braosa, to whom it came by marriage with one of the Earl's daughters. This fortress, from its commanding situation, was frequently the subject of contest between the English lords and the native chieftains; in 1292 it is noticed by Camden as being in the possession of John Fitzthomas, one of the Geraldines, who, during the hostilities that desolated the surrounding country, brought Richard, Earl of Ulster, prisoner to this place. Contiguous to the castle, which, though the territory had descended to the Mortimers, appears to have been retained by the Fitzgeralds, was a small burgh with a market and fairs, which is said to have been destroyed in 1315 by Edward Bruce, who also burned the castle. In the latter part of the reign of Edw. II., this place was taken by Lysagh O'Moore; and on the decline of the English power, nearly the whole of the surrounding territory fell into the possession of the native septs. In 1534 the castle belonged to the Earl of Kildare, and was considered one of the six strongest castles in his possession; it was taken in 1642 by the insurgents, who were afterwards expelled by Lord Lisle; in commemoration of which an ash tree was planted in the old market-place, which is now rapidly falling to decay. The castle was dismantled by the parliamentarians under Cols. Hewson and Reynolds; and the subsequent foundation of the neighbouring town of Portarlington prevented the revival of the old burgh or town of Lea, which has since dwindled into an inconsiderable village. The parish comprises 17,932 statute acres, of which about 500 are woodland, about 1000 waste and bog, and the remainder divided in nearly equal portions between tillage and pasture. The surface is mostly level, with a few hills of small elevation, of which the chief are Spire hill, Windmill hill, and Mullaghalig; the soil is light and shallow, and the system of agriculture improving. The substrata are limestone, limestone gravel, and reddish sand; the limestone, which is of good quality, is extensively quarried. Besides the seats noticed in the articles on Portarlington and Ballybrittas, are Gray Avon, the residence of J. Armstrong, Esq.; Mount Henry, of H. Smith, Esq.; Jamestown House, of R. Cassidy, Esq.; Ballintoher, of D. French Esq.; the glebe-house, of the Rev. J. Powell; Fisherstown House, of T. L. Kenney, Esq.; Killamullen, of G. Blakeney, Esq.; Ballycarrol, of J. Reed, Esq.; Kilbracken, of A. W. Alloway, Esq.; and Abbeyview Cottage, of the Rev. D. Maher. The Grand Canal passes for three miles through the parish, and the river Barrow might be rendered navigable from Portarlington to Monastereven at a trifling expense. Fairs are held at Portarlington, and petty sessions arc held there weekly on Wednesday, and at Ballybrittas on Monday. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese, of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter. The tithes amount to 830. 15. 4 1/2., of which 553. 16. 11. is payable to the lessee of the dean and chapter, and the remainder to the vicar. The glebe-house was built by a gift of 369 and a loan to the same amount from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1829; the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church, a small neat edifice, was built by subscription, aided by a loan of 350 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1810; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted 375 for its repair. There are two chapels of ease at Portarlington. In the R. C. divisions nearly the whole of the parish forms part of the union or district of Portarlington, Emo, and Killeynard; the chapel, at Killeynard, has been lately rebuilt. About 750 children are taught in six public schools; there are also six private schools, in which are about 130 children. At Portarlington and Ballybrittas are dispensaries, and a mendicity society on Dr. Chalmers' plan is supported by subscription. There are ruins of the old churches of Old Lea, Tierhoghar, and Ballyadden; and on the bank of the river Barrow are the remains of the ancient castle, consisting of a massive round tower, with several quadrangular buildings, apparently parts of the original structure and of great strength; the whole enclosed within massive walls pierced with embrasures, and presenting an imposing and venerable appearance as seen from the river. There are six raths in the parish. Near Portarlington is a powerful chalybeate spa, efficacious in scorbutic cases.
Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837

 

Do you have a description of this civil parish or a picture?  If you send it/them, I will put it/them in this space.

Townlands

  Ballintogher   Coolroe   Killinure
  Ballyadding   Cooltedery   Kilmullen
  Ballybrittas Town   Courtwood   Knockbeg
  Ballycarroll   Derrynafunshion   Lea
  Ballymorris   Doolough   Lough
  Ballyshaneduff   Fisherstown   Loughmansland Glebe
  Ballyteigeduff   Garryvacum   Portarlington Town
  Belin   Graigavern   Rathleash
  Bellegrove   Inchacooly   Rathmiles
  Bolnagree   Jamestown   Rathronshin
  Bracklone   Kilbrackan   Sleaty
  Clonanny   Kilbride   The Derries
  Cloneen   Killaglish   Tirhogar
  Closeland       Tullaghan
  Controversyland       Ullard

 

LDS Film Numbers

Film Title Film number(s)
RC Parochial registers of Portarlington Baptisms, 1820-1876; marriages, 1822-1876 #926125
Tithe Applotments, 1823-38 #256658
Griffith's Valuation, 1850 #101757
1901 Ireland Census, D.E.D. 47/17. Graigue D.E.D. 49/14 #850462
1901 Ireland Census, Portarlington South D.E.D. 57/2-6, 7c #850463
1901 Ireland Census, Ballybrittas D.E.D. 64/1-9, 10c (file 1-2. Jamestown D.E.D. 66/1-10. Kilmullen D.E.D. 67/1-6. Sallyford D.E.D. 68/1-7 #850464
1911 Ireland Census, Shrule D.E.D. 47/17 Townland: Knockbeg #2193089
1911 Ireland Census, Graigue Rural D.E.D. 49/14 Townland: Sleaty #2193090
1911 Ireland Census, Portarlington South D.E.D. 57/2 Townland: Ballymorris #2193128
1911 Ireland Census, Portarlington South D.E.D. 57/3-7(1-8) Townlands: Bracklone, Cooltedery, Droughill, Tirhogar; Portarlington Town: Bracklone Street, Church Street, Crowe Street, Foxcroft Lane, French Church Street, Main Street, Market Square, Spa Street #2193129
1911 Ireland Census, Ballybrittas D.E.D. 64/1-10 Townlands: Ballybrittas, Ballyshaneduff or The Derries, Doolough, Garryvacum, Kilbride, Lough, Rathleash, Rathmiles, Tullaghan; Ballybrittastown Town #2193131
1911 Ireland Census, Jamestown D.E.D. 66/1-10 Townlands: Ballintogher, Ballyadding, Ballycarroll, Bolnagree (nil), Closeland or Cloneen, Derrynafunshion, Graigavern, Jamestown or Ballyteigeduff, Killaglish, Killinure #2193132
1911 Ireland Census, Kilmullen D.E.D. 67/1-6 Townlands: Clonanny, Inchacooly, Kilmullen, Lea, Loughmansland Glebe, Ullard or Controversyland #2193132
1911 Ireland Census, Sallyford D.E.D. 68/1-7 Townlands: Belin, Bellegrove, Coolroe, Courtwood, Fisherstown, Kilbrackan, Rathronshin #2193132

(before ordering films, check # for accuracy)

 

SURNAME CONTACT
To add your surname Email IGP County Leix/Laois

 

Civil Parish Links

Griffith's Valuation Index, Lea Civil Parish, John Hayes' website
Add your links, send an email describing link and don't forget the URL

 

 

This page is under construction!

 

Information to be added:
     Description of civil parish
     Maps
     Churches
     History
     Pictures
     Records
     Travel
     Links
     etc. etc. etc.

 

Your help is needed.  If you have anything that you think will add to this website, including records, that will help others when researching this civil parish's genealogy, please email me.


 

Back to the County Leix Land Division webpage....

 

Back to the County Leix website....

 


2001-2015 Ireland GenWeb