Portadown Town
County Armagh, Northern Ireland

Civil Parish Drumcree Seagoe
Barony Oneilland West Oneilland East
Poor Law Union Lurgan Lurgan
Catholic Diocese Armagh Armagh
Catholic Parish Drumcree Drumcree
Presbyterian Congregation Portadown Portadown

 

PORTADOWN, a market and post-town, and district parish, in the barony of Oneilland West, county of Armagh, and province of Ulster, 9 miles (N.E.) from Armagh, and 69 (N. by W.) from Dublin, on the road from Armagh to Belfast; containing 4906 inhabitants, of which number, 1591 are in the town.  This place, anciently called Port-ne-doon, or "the port of the fortified eminence," derived that name from an ancient castle of the McCanns or McCanes, who were tributaries of the O'Nials and occupied this very important station, commanding the pass of the river Bann.  The adjoining lands were, under the name of the manor of Ballyoran, granted by Jas. I. to William Powell, Esq., and afterwards by Chas. I., in the 7th of his reign, to Prudence Obyns and John Obyns, Esq., who erected a residence, and built 14 houses, in which they settled fourteen English families.  Of the ancient mansion there is scarcely a vestige, except the gardens, and the avenue, which is still tolerably perfect.  The town, which has been greatly extended, and the manor, are now the property of Viscount Mandeville.  The former is very advantageously situated on the river Bann, over which is a stone bridge of seven arches, connecting it with the small suburb of Edenderry, in the parish of Seagoe.  It consists of one spacious and handsome street, with several smaller streets branching from it in various directions; and contains 315 houses, of which those in the principal street are large and well built.  The town has been greatly improved within the last 40 years, previously to which it was comparatively of little importance; it is paved and cleansed by a committee appointed under the act of the 9th of Geo. IV., which raises money for the purpose by an assessment on the inhabitants.  The river, which falls into Lough Neagh about seven miles below the town to the north, and communicates with the Newry canal about one mile above it to the south, is navigable for vessels of 80 tons' burden; but from a bar at its mouth, and from want of depth in the canal, the vessels generally navigating it seldom exceed 60 tons.  The bridge, which is the only one across the river between Knock and Toome, a distance of full 30 miles, was built in 1764, but has suffered so much from the winter floods, that it has become necessary to rebuild it, and the expense is estimated at 8000.  The chief trade is in corn, pork, cattle, and agricultural produce, and is greatly promoted by the situation of the place in the centre of an extensive and fertile district.  The corn trade is particularly brisk during the winter; on an average, from 10,000 to 15,000 is laid out weekly in the purchase of grain, which is shipped to Newry and Belfast for exportation to England, the vessels returning with cargoes of timber, coal, slates, iron, and articles for inland consumption.  The manufacture of linen, lawn, cambric and sheeting is extensively carried on, chiefly for the bleachers and factors of Banbridge; and the weaving of cotton goods for the merchants of Belfast also affords employment to a great number of persons.  A very large distillery has been established, consuming annually more than 3000 tons of malt, bere, and oats; there is also a very extensive porter brewery; and since the Tyrone collieries were opened, brick-making has been extensively carried on.  The market is on Saturday, and is abundantly supplied with provisions of all kinds, and with linen yarn, which is sold in great quantities.  Fairs are held on the third Saturday in every month, and also on Easter-Monday and Whit-Monday, for cattle, pigs, and pedlery, and during the winter great quantities of pork are sold.  A large and commodious market-place, with shambles and every requisite, has been recently erected by subscription, and is under the regulation of a committee.  A chief constabulary police force is stationed in the town; petty manors of Ballyoran and Richmount, at which debts to the amount of 40s. are recoverable, every third Monday, before a seneschal appointed by Viscount Mandeville.

The district parish comprises 3836 statute acres, mostly in a profitable state of cultivation; the demesne attached to the ancient mansion of the Obyns family, with the exception of a tract of woodland, has been parcelled out into farms.  The principal seats are Ballyworkan, the residence of G. Pepper, Esq.; Carrick, of Lieu. Col. Blacker, a fine old mansion, embellished with some stately timber, Clowna, of J. Woolsey, Esq.; Eden Villa, of W. Atkinson, Esq.; and Fair View, of T. Carleton, Esq.  The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Rector of Drumcree, who pays the curate a stipend of 150.  The church, a handsome edifice in the early English style, with a tower at the east end, and for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of 831, and a loan of 461, was built in 1826; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted 173 for its repair.  In the R.C. divisions the parish gives name to a union or district, including also the parish of Drumcree, where is the chapel.  There are two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.  About 550 children are taught in seven public schools, of which two are supported by the rector, four by Lord and Lady Mandeville, and one partly by Mrs. Henry; there are also five private schools, in which are about 100 children, and two Sunday schools.  A dispensary for the tenants of the Portadown estate is wholly supported by Lord Mandeville, by whom also a lending-library and a loan fund have been established.
A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, by Samuel Lewis, 1837

 

Do you have a description of this townland or a picture?  If you send it/them, I will put it/them in this space.

 

Available Catholic Records at NLI & PRONI
(other than county heritage centers)

NLI=National Library in Ireland, Dublin
POS=film number
PRONI=Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
MIC.ID=film number

Type Dates Where
Baptisms 1844-1881 with gaps
1844-1880
MIC.1D/37; C.R. 2/8
Pos 5586
Marriages 1844-1881 with gaps
1844-1880 with gaps
MIC.1D/37; C.R. 2/8
Pos 5586

 

Available Presbyterian Records at PRONI
(other than county heritage center)

MIC 1P=Order Number

Type - 1st Congregation Dates Where
Baptisms 1839-1954 MIC 1P/52
Marriages 1838-1900 MIC 1P/52
Type - 2nd Congregation Dates Where
Baptisms 1868-1985 MIC 1P/269
Marriages 1869-1930 MIC 1P/269

 

 

Church Records

Surname Record Type Info Contact
       
***Do you have records to contribute?   Send to IGP Co Armagh

 

LDS Film Numbers

Film Title Film number(s)
Tithe Applotments, 1829 for Drumcree Civil Parish #258456
Tithe Applotments, 1834 for Seagoe Civil Parish #258467
Griffith's Valuation, 1864 for both Civil Parishes #258751
1901 Ireland Census, Drumree Civil Parish #812098-812100, 812102
1911 Ireland Census, Drumcree Civil Parish, Portadown Town (Castle Street through Curran Street) #1999564
1911 Ireland Census, Drumcree Civil Parish,  Portadown Town (David Street through Harford Street) #1999565
1911 Ireland Census, Drumcree Civil Parish,  Portadown Town (Henry Street through Margaret Street) #1999566
1911 Ireland Census, Drumcree Civil Parish,  Portadown Town (Market Street through New Street) #1999583
1911 Ireland Census, Drumcree Civil Parish,  Portadown Town (Obin Street through Sarah Street) #1999622
1911 Ireland Census, Drumcree Civil Parish,  Portadown Town (Shillington Street through part of West Street) #1999584
1911 Ireland Census, Drumcree Civil Parish,  Portadown Town (West Street cont. through Woodhouse Street) #1999585
1901 Ireland Census, Seagoe Civil Parish, Town: Bachelor's Walk, Bridge Street, Bright Street, Carrickblacker Avenue, Carrickblacker Road, Edenderry, Florence Court, Foundry Street, James Street, Joseph Street, Killycomain Road, Watson's Lane, Watson Street. #812098
1911 Ireland Census, Seagoe Civil Parish, Portadown Town: James Street, Joseph Street, Killycomain Road, Watson Lane, Watson Street. #1999563
Selected extractions from Drumcree RC Parish: Creany, O'Connell, and Higgins families #994043
Hart Memorial School,  Register of females, 1935-1940 Register of males, 1935-1939 #1551099

(before ordering films, check # for accuracy)

 

SURNAME CONTACT
Benson Connie Hinckley
England Beryl Young
Finnigan Connie Hinckley
Grimason, Grimeson, Grimison, Grimshaw David Grimshaw
McAvoy Denise McAvoy
Weir Connie Hinckley
Woodhouse Connie Hinckley
To add your surname Email IGP Co Armagh

 

Town(land) Links

Tithe Applotments, Drumcree Civil Parish, ConnorsGenealogy website
Griffith's Valuation Index, Drumcree Civil Parish, John Hayes's website
Griffith's Valuation Index, Seagoe Civil Parish, John Hayes's website
Add your links, send an email describing link and don't forget the URL
 

 

 

Information to be added:
     Description of town
     Maps
     Churches
     History
     Pictures
     Records
     Travel
     Links
     etc. etc. etc.

 

Your help is needed.  If you have anything that you think will add to this website, including records, that will help others when researching this town(land)'s genealogy, please email me.

 

Back to the County Armagh Townlands website....

 

Back to the County Armagh website....

 


2001-20
10ConnorsGenealogy, Ireland Genealogical Projects
last updated
January 16, 2010