Loughgilly Civil Parish
County Armagh, Northern Ireland

Barony Fews Lower, Orior Upper & Lower
Poor Law Union Armagh, Banbridge, Newry
Catholic Diocese Armagh
Catholic Parish Loughgilly (Whitecross)
Presbyterian Congregations Kingsmills, Mountnorris, Tullyallen


LOUGHGILLY, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER FEWS, and partly in that of UPPER FEWS, but chiefly in the barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Market-Hill, on the road from Armagh to Newry; containing, with the district parish of Baleek and the village of Mountnorris (which see), 10,198 inhabitants. This parish, which takes its name from the lake on which it is situated, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, l6,029 1/2 statute acres, including 80 1/2 of water; of these, 5299 are in Lower Fews, 2289 1/4 in Upper Fews, and 8441 1/4 in Lower Orior. The lake extended several miles in length from Pointz-Pass to Mountnorris, forming a continued morass and fortified by a military post at the former, and at the latter by another erected by Gen. Norris, from whom that station had its name; but with the exception of about 5 acres of water near the glebe-house, the whole has been drained and brought into cultivation. The land is fertile; about three-fourths are under tillage and in a very high state of cultivation; the remainder, though in some parts rocky, affords good pasture. Slate is found in the parish, but the quarries are not at present worked. There are several substantial and some handsome houses, of which the principal are Glenaune, the elegant residence of W. Atkinson, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. Dr. Stuart. In the southern part of the parish is a small lake, called Loughshaws, from which a small stream flowing through Glenaune affords a convenient site for some extensive mills that have been established here for spinning cotton and weaving calico, in which are 170 power-looms, affording employment to nearly 300 persons; and also for bleach-greens and other mills, in which the manufactured goods are finished for the English markets. Since the establishment of these works, the proprietor has planted a great portion of mountainous and rocky land, introduced a good practical system of agriculture, and greatly improved the entire neighbourhood. A manorial court for the district of Baleek is held here every month, in which debts to the amount of 40s. are recoverable. The district of Baleek was separated from this parish in 1826, and erected into a perpetual curacy. The living of Loughgilly is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate; the tithes amount to 926. 18. 4. The glebe-house was built in 1782, at an expense of 923. 1. 6 1/2., and subsequently enlarged and improved at a cost of 1819; the glebe comprises 500 statute acres, valued at 585. 11. 8. per annum. The church is a spacious and handsome edifice with a tower, originally built at an expense of 1384. 12. 3 3/4., a loan from the late Board of First Fruits, and rebuilt in 1828 by aid of a gift of 830. 15. from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Ballymoyer and Baleek, in each of which is a chapel. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster and the Seceding Synod, also for Covenanters. About 350 children are taught in four public schools, of which the male and female parochial schools are supported by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's fund, and one by Lord Gosford, who has endowed it with an acre of land. The parochial school-house was built on the glebe in 1813, at an expense of 250. There are also a private school, in which are about 60 children, and seven Sunday schools. A school-house is being built at Killycarran by the Education Society, who intend endowing it with 30 per annum from the surplus funds of the collegiate school at Armagh, which latter was founded by Chas. I, who granted seven townlands in this parish for the foundation of a school at Mountnorris, but which was some years afterwards established at Armagh. Four unendowed almshouses were built by Dean Dawson, in 1811, for four aged women; and the late Lord Gosford bequeathed a sum of money, of which the interest is annually distributed among the poor. During the rebellion of the Earl of Tyrone, the garrison of this place was put to the sword by the O'Donells; it also suffered greatly in the war of 1641, when a dreadful carnage took place. There are several remains of fortifications in the neighbourhood; the "Tyrone Ditches " are near the junction of the parish with those of Killevy and Ballymore; but of the extensive fortress of Port-Norris, or Mount-Norris, not a vestige can be traced.
Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837


Do you have a description of this civil parish or a picture?  If you send it/them, I will put it/them in this space.


  Ballenan Creggan Lower Lisadian
  Ballydogherty Creegan Upper Lisdrumchor Lower
  Ballygorman Crunagh Lisdrumchor Upper
  Ballyvally Derlett Lisnalee
  Belleek Town Drumcrow Lisnisk
  Bolton Drumharriff Lurgyross
  Brackagh Drummilt Mavemacullen
  Carran Drummond Maytone
  Carrickananny Drumnahoney Mountnorris Town
  Carrickgallogly Drumnahunshin Mullaghmore
  Carrowmannan Greyhillan Rathcarbry
  Cornagrally Keady Beg Rathconvil
  Corrinare Keady More Tullyah
  Corrinure Kilcon Tullyallen
  Crankey Killycarn Lower Tullyherron
  Creeve Killycarn Upper Tullywinny


LDS Film Numbers

Film Title Film number(s)
Tithe Applotments, 1834 #258464
Griffith's Valuation, Armagh PLU, 1864 #258750
Griffith's Valuation, Banbridge PLU, 1862 #25850
Griffith's Valuation, Newry PLU, 1864 #258751
Rental books of the Newry Estate; Newry Estate in Orior Barony, Co Armagh, townlands:  Drumherriff, Tullwinny #258638
Rental books of the Newry estates (cont.), 1850-1866 #258639
Field Books, Co. Armagh, Barony of Fews Lower 1847-64 #2357280
Field Books, Co. Armagh, Baronies of Orior Lower & Upper #2357281
1901 Ireland census, D.E.D. 23/18c, 23/12-17 #808510
1901 Ireland census, D.E.D. 30/1-10, 7-8, 11-14, 31/12 #812087
1901 Ireland census, D.E.D. 63/2-11, 12c, 64/1-15, 16c, 17-18 #812104
1901 Ireland census, D.E.D. 67/8-16 1901 D.E.D. 68/23-29 #812106
1911 Ireland Census, Glenanne D.E.D. 21/6-15 Townlands: Crunagh, Derlett, Drumgane, Lisdrumchor Lower, Lisdrumchor Upper, Lurgyross, Glenanne Town, Derrycughan, Drumlaragh, Maghnavery #1999920
1911 Ireland Census, Mullaghbrack D.E.D. 33/12 Townland: Mavemacullen #1999950
1911 Ireland Census, Belleek E.D. 65/2-10 Townlands: Belleek, Carrickananny, Carrickgalloghly, Carrownmannan, Drumharriff, Drumnahoney, Drumnahunshin, Greyhillan, Tullyah #1999612
1911 Ireland Census, Belleek D.E.D. 65/11-12 Belleek Townlands: Tullywinny, Belleek Town (nil) 1911 Mountnorris D.E.D. 66/1-18 Townlands: Ballygorman, Ballyvally, Bolton, Cornagrally, Corrinure, Drumcrow, Drummilt, Kiloon, Killycarn Lower, Killycarn Upper, Maytone, Mountnorris, Mullaghmore, Tullyallen, Tullyherron, Mountnorris Town, Creggan Lower, Creggan Upper #1999613
1911 Ireland Census, Tullyhappy D.E.D. 69/8-16 Townlands: Ballydogherty, Crankey, Drummond, Keady Beg, Keady More, Lesh, Lisnalee, Rathcarbry, Lisnadian #1999628
1911 Ireland Census, Poyntz Pass D.E.D. 70/23-29 Townlands: Ballenan, Barckagh, Carran, Corrinare, Creeve, Lisnisk, Rathconvil #1999630
Registers of Mountnorris National School, males 1887-1950, females 1887-1950 #1656973

(before ordering films, check # for accuracy)


To add your surname Email IGP County Armagh


Civil Parish Links

Griffith's Valuation Index, Loughgilly Civil Parish, John Hayes' website
Add your links, send an email describing link and don't forget the URL



Information to be added:
     Description of civil parish
     etc. etc. etc.


Your help is needed.  If you have anything that you think will add to this website, including records, that will help others when researching this civil parish's genealogy, please email me. (

Ancestry.com UK & Ireland Collection

Back to the County Armagh Land Divisions website....


Back to the County Armagh website....


2001-2006ConnorsGenealogy, Ireland Genealogy Projects
last updated December 16, 2006