Clonfeacle Civil Parish
County Armagh, Northern Ireland
|Armagh, Oneilland West
|Poor Law Union
|Benburb (Co. Tyrone)
CLONFEACLE, a parish, partly in the barony of Armagh, and partly in that of O'Neilland West, county of Armagh, but chiefly in the barony of Dungannon, county of Tyrone, and province of Ulster, 5½ miles (N.N.W.) from Armagh; containing, with the districts of Derrygortrevy, Moy, and Blackwater-town, (each of which is separately described) 19,547 inhabitants. This place was distinguished at a very remote period as the seat of a religious establishment of great reputation, of which St. Lugud, or Lugaid, was abbot about the year 580. It was 8,000 after vested in the Culdean monks, whose chief establishment in Ireland at Armagh, and with it this house became united about the middle of the 10th century. The Culdees kept possession of the church, and several large tracts of land in the parish, till the Reformation, when the whole became forfeited to the Crown, and were granted by Jas. I., on the 13th of May, 1614, to Primate Hampton, and his successors forever, under the denomination of the "Terman, or Erenach lands of Clonfeicle," together with the church and rectory, which latter has since passed from the Primate, and is now vested in the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin. During the Irish wars, and more especially in the rebellion of the Earl of Tyrone, this district was the scene of numerous sangninary battles, the details of which are given in the article on Benburb. The parish is intersected by the river Blackwater, over which are several large and handsome stone bridges; and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 26,218 statute acres, of which 21,582 are in Tyrone, and 4636 in Armagh. The surface is diversified by several small and beautiful lakes, the principal of which is Lough Curran, on an artificial island in which have been discovered the remains of buildings and warlike and domestic implements; and near it is the old camp of the O'Nials, now Fort Magarrett. The land is chiefly arable; the soil is light but generally fertile, producing excellent crops; the system of agriculture is improved, and there is no waste land, except a tract of bog or marsh, about 400 acres in extent. Limestone and freestone abound in the parish; there are extensive and valuable limestone quarries at Benburb. The Ulster canal passes for three miles through the parish, on the Armagh or eastern side of the Blackwater. At Benburb a rock has been excavated to the depth of 86 feet, and the canal carried longitudinally over a mill-race for a very considerable distance, by a handsome aqueduct. The scenery is pleasingly diversified and beautifully picturesque; the glen through which the Blackwater flows is highly romantic, and the canal, when completed will add to the interest of the landscape. The principal seats are Dartrey Lodge, the residence of W. Olpherts, Esq.; the Argory, of W.McGeough Bond, Esq.; and Tullydoey, of J. Eyre Jackson, Esq., at which place is also the residence of T. Eyre, Esq. The weaving of linen is carried on extensively by the farmers and cottiers at their own dwellings; and at Tullydoey is an extensive bleach-green.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the
diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of
Trinity College, Dublin; the tithes amount to £1030. The gleb-house
is a good building; the glebe comprises 532a. 3r. 17p. of good arable
land. The church was destroyed during the rebellion of Tyrone, since
which time the village of Clonfeacle has been neglected and now forms part
of the Blackwater-town; and, in the same rebellion, the church of Eglish
was destroyed, and that parish has ever since been included in the parish
of Clonfeacle. The present parish church is situated close to the
village of Benburb, on the confines of the counties of Armagh and Tyrone;
it was built by Sir R. Wingfield, in 1619, and repaired and enlarged in
1815, by a gift of £800 from the late Board of first Fruits; the
Ecclesiastical Commissions have recently granted £526. 1l. towards its
further repair. There are also a church at Moy and one at
Derrgortrevy; the latter stands near the site of the old church of Eglish.
In the R.C. Divisions the parish is called Upper and Lower Clonfeacle, and
includes the whole parish of Eglish; there are chapels at Eglish, Moy and
Blackwater-town. There is a place of worship at Benburb for
Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster of the second class;
and one at Crew in connection with the Associate Synod; and at Blackwater-town
is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial school,
near the church at Benburb, was built in 1832, by the Rev. Henry Griffin,
the present rector, by whom it is principally supported; there are also
schools at Blackwater-town and Derrycrevy, and near the old churchyeard at
Clonfeacle is a national school. At Benburb, Gorestown, Drummond,
Mullycarnan, and Carrowcolman, schools were built and are supported by
funds arising from a bequest, by Lord Powerscourt, of £2000 for charitable
uses, and are conducted under the moral agency system. The sum of £4
per annum is paid to the poor of this parish from Drelincourt's charity,
and two children are eligble to the Drelincourt school at Armagh. A
bequest of £100 was made to the poor by a person whose name is now
unknown. The ruins of Benburb castle, situated on the summit of a
limestone rock overhanging the river, have a very picturesque appearance;
and near them was found a silver signet ring, bearing the arms and
initials of Turlogh O'Nial, which is now in the possession of Mr. Bell, of
Dungannon. Several interesting relics of antiquity have been found
in various parts; a large well-formed canoe was found in the bed of the
river at Blackwater-town, in 1826, and is now in the garden of C. Magee,
Esq.; it is scooped out of an oak tree, and is in good preservation.
The same gentleman has also some very perfect querns, an altar of rude
construction, several stone hatchets, and the horns of an elk, which were
found a few years since at Drumlee. At Tullydoey are some
inconsiderable vestiges of an ancient fort.
Do you have a description of this civil parish or a picture? If you send it/them, I will put it/them in this space.
LDS Film Numbers
|Tithe Applotments, 1833
|Griffith's Valuation, 1864
|1901 Ireland Census
|#808503, 808504, 808507, 818508
|1911 Ireland Census
|#1999872-75, 199865, 1999917
|RC parochial register, Clonfeacle Parish, 1814-1881
(before ordering films, check # for accuracy)
|To add your surname
|Email IGP County Armagh
Civil Parish Links
|Griffith's Valuation Index, Clonfeacle Civil Parish, John Hayes' website
|Add your links, send an email describing link and don't forget the URL
This page is under construction!
Information to be added:
Your help is needed. If you have anything that you think will add to this website, including records, that will help others when researching this civil parish's genealogy, please email me.
Back to the County Armagh Land Divisions website....
Back to the County Armagh website....
©2001-2006ConnorsGenealogy, Ireland Genealogy Projects
last updated January 8, 2006