Ireland Genealogy Projects Archives
St. Fintan's Cemetery, Sutton, Co. Dublin
Contributed by Joyce Tunstead & James White
The following is a short account of the lives of GEORGE RANDOLPH WEBB and his wife ISABELLA GERTRUDE AMY (ELLA)
nee OVENDEN. The photos show the original headstone and its current condition, drawing our attention to the amount
of deterioration there has been in the short space of about 80 years.
George Randolph Webb (1877 - 1929) was a mathematician and senior administrator in Trinity College Dublin and a
Fellow of the College; he is commemorated by a bronze plaque (in Latin) at the entrance to the College Chapel. For
some years, he lived at Earlscliffe (Ceanchor Road), purchased by his father-in-law Dean Ovenden in 1922 from the
family of John Pentland Mahaffy after his death (1919). In 1907 he married Isabella Gertrude Amy (Ella) Ovenden of
Enniskillen, whose father Rev. Charles T Ovenden was later (1911 - 1924) Dean of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin. Dr Ella
Webb (1877 - 1949) was an innovative and pioneering paediatrician, first woman physician in the Adelaide Hospital
(now Tallaght) - where a ward bears her name - and founder (1925) of The Childrens' Sunshine Home in Stillorgan.
See Dictionary of Irish Biography for a fuller account of her distinctions.
Click a picture to see a larger view. Copyright by Photographer.