INDEX

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Carlow in Pictures

 Tullow Street

Carlow

Click on Images to enlarge

 Index PAGE 1 Page 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 PAGE 5 PAGE 6 PAGE 7 PAGE 8 PAGE 9

Source: 1. "Up Tullow Street" an article in The Advertiser by Michael Purcell c 1992.
Carlow in Old Pictures & Carlow in Old Pictures Vol 2 by Michael Purcell & The Official Guide to Carlow 1985-86.
2. Tullow Street by Michael Purcell - The Nationalist Aug 25 2006
Additional edits & images by M. Brennan, J. J. Woods, Anna Nolan Gough & Dermott O'Brien.

Upper Tullow Street c1800's
Upper Tullow Street c1800's
Tullow Street looking East c1950's
Tullow Street  looking East c1950's
Tony's Ladies & Gents Hairdressers c1995
Tony's Ladies & Gents Hairdressers c1995.
Photo M. Brennan
Where the Coliseum Cinema used to be. c.2006
(Photo W. Muldowney)

The Nationalist and Leinster Times Office in Tullow Street. Source: Dermot O'Brien
Meighans shop in Tullow Street c1929
Meighans shop in 29 Tullow Street c1929.
The Meighan family took over Slater's Fish and Poultry shop at 29 Tullow Street and continued in the business up until the late 1970's.  The picture above shows Molly Meighan in the centre and Tom Moore standing behind her.
Finegan's pub on the corner of Tullow Street and Potato Market c1967. The grey stone building in the background is part of Carlow Goal where the men of 1798 were held awaiting their fate.
(Photo W. Muldowney)
The Med Bar which used to be known as Lennons Corner.
(Photo W. Muldowney c.2003)
Upper Tullow Street
Upper Tullow Street with Darcy's the furniture store on the left. Note the Irish Telephone box outside the Garda Station c1968
(Photo W. Muldowney)
Jun of Tullow St & Potato Mk
The junction of Tullow Street and Potato Market. The Ritz Cinema is on the Right of Tullow Street and the shop with the white canopy is Crotty's the Bakery c1968.
(Photo W. Muldowney)

Darrers Store in Tullow Street.
Source: Facebook

Darrers Store in Tullow Street. Closing Down sale. Source: Facebook
 
Slater & Sons Bakers & Confectioners in Tullow Street. Source Dermot O'Brien

J. F. Corr Chemist
12 Tullow Street.
Upper Tullow Street c 1967
Upper Tullow Street c 1967.  The Iron Railings on the left are belong to the Presentation Convent. Carlow Bakery and M. White the Chemist.
(Photo W. Muldowney)

Upper Tullow Street
Photo by JJ Woods

Upper Tullow Street
Photo by JJ Woods

Upper Tullow Street
Photo by JJ Woods

Shaw's in Tullow Street Source Dermot O'Brien

The Nationalist and Leinster Times Office in Tullow Street. Source: Aoife Murphy O'Brien

1950s - A Valentine & Co. Postcard, focused in opposite direction  We can just about identify the Bon Bon Café sign down the street. Note the street light, centre picture, hanging from wire overhead.
Source Michael Purcell

Finegans c.1954.
1953 The outside of Finegan's Pub with Frank Slater's garage visible in the background. Simple times ~ Finegan's phone number was 233 -- Slater's phone number was 43 Source Michael Purcell.
Finegan's pub on the corner of Tullow Street and Potato Market c.1967. The grey stone building in the background is part of Carlow Goal where the men of 1798 were held awaiting their fate.
(Photo W. Muldowney)
Finegan's pub on the corner of Tullow Street and Potato Market c.1970's
(Photo W. Muldowney)
 

Some of these pictures previously appeared in Carlow in old postcards Vol. 2  / Vol. 3 
& Carlow in Old Picture Postcards by Michael Purcell. (1994/99 & 2000)
My thanks also to W Muldowney, Carloman and Mrs. J. Brennan for their contributions.

 Index PAGE 1 Page 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 PAGE 5 PAGE 6 PAGE 7 PAGE 8 PAGE 9
Please report any images or links which do not open to mjbrennan30@gmail.com

The copying of these images and or text is strictly forbidden without the express permission of the owner of these images and material
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP