Rathvilly Index SCHOOL INDEX

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

D'Israeli Endowed School.
Bough (c.1826)

By Richard Corrigan

D'Israeli Endowed School Bough (c. 1826)D'Israeli School is a very familiar landmark to all and must often have prompted us to ponder over its origins. D'Israeli whose name was given to the school was born in 1766. In 1783 D'Israeli was apprenticed to Richard Bayley, a member of the Dublin Society of Public Notaries. Public Notaries drew up and attested documents, engaged in stock-broking, money lending, insurance and dealing in lotteries. He finished his apprenticeship in 1788 and continued in the business of lotteries, becoming so successful that by 1804 he had acquired extensive property in Suffolk Street, Essex Street, and Palmerston.

With his newfound wealth he purchased Beechy Park from his friend Mr. Hoare Hume of Kiltegan where he took up residence in 1809. He was appointed High Sheriff of Carlow in 1810. His stock exchange friend Mr. Hugh Cuming bought the land adjoining Beechy Park at Bough. D'Israeli died a bachelor on 9th August 1814 at the age of 48.

Among the various provisions of his will was a bequest to the Bishop of Leighlin and Ferns and the Minister and Church wardens of the parish of Rathvilly of a sum of money to be used for the erection of a school close to the town of Rathvilly. A site at Bough was purchased in 1823 from Mr. Hugh Cuming. The commissioners of education appointed Mr. Joseph Welland as architect for the project.

The building was completed in 1826. Average attendance at the school in 1835 was 55. Subsequently some of the masters kept an average of a dozen boarders at the school. In 1939 the school, at the request of the board of governors was brought under the Department of Education so securing payment of the teachers salary from public funds.

The school then carried on as a primary school until Easter 1977 when the pupils were transferred to Baltinglass with the introduction of the bus service and rationalisation. The school building was subsequently purchased from the Commissioners of Charities by the parishioners of St. Mary's Church, Rathvilly.

Source: Carloviana 1983. Vol 2. No. 31  p.11.

Carlow Sentinel, Oct. 1892.
D'Israeli School.
Rathvilly, County Carlow.
Principal - James C. Long.
Certificated Science and Art, London: Ex. Sch. Incor. Society:
Late Assistant Master Bandon Grammar School.
School Re-opened.
Preparation for Intermediate, Banks, Civil Service, and Commercial Examinations.
Special attention given to young and backward pupils. The School stands on five acres in a healthy locality.
For terms apply to the Principal.

Source: Michael Purcell from PPP

D'Israeli School. Rathvilly.
By Michael Quane. ©1948  Member.
Benjamin D’Israeli, Public Notary

An Act for establishing a Lottery, and for granting to his Majesty a Sum of two hundred thousand Pounds to be raised thereby"1 was passed by the Irish Parliament in 1779. This Act inaugurated the series of twenty-four State Lotteries which were held in Ireland during the pro-Union period 1780-1800 under the supervision of Commissioners appointed by the Treasury. The system adopted by the Government for the distribution of tickets in the Irish Lotteries was by allocation of quotas to approved brokers who were enabled to make payment by instalments. Tickets in the English State Lotteries had a large sale in Ireland up to 1780. Thereafter both Irish and English tickets were available, and several sales offices were licenced for operation in Dublin.

“The Office Keepers in Ireland interduced all practices calculated to entice coin fron the public, ... A licence for setting up an office for handling and dealing in British or Irish lottery tickets was necessary unless not less than ten tickets were sold at a time, and 200 tickets had to be deposited with the officer for stamping shares, and £5OO in the Bank of Ireland. Two books only were to be used in each office for entering events of drawing, and division of tickets into smaller parts than one-sixteenth was not permitted. Offices were not to be opened before 7 or after 10 p.m. except on the eve of drawing. A licence for a lottery office had to be on a £1OO stamp."2

The Hibernian Journal, of November:- 3-6, 1780, contains ten columns of advertisements of which five are devoted to announcements by nine different brokers. Amongst them:

"Richard Hayly, Public Notary, most respectfully begs leave to inform his Friends and the Public, that he is now issuing at his STATE LOTTERY OFFICE, No. 52 Essex street (licensed and appointed by Government) POLICIES at Five Shillings and Five Pence and Two Shillings and Eight pence Halfpenny each, by which may be gained the following sums .   ."

In the issue of the same newspaper for November 15-17, 178O, under the title, "Lottery Tickets Insured, " Richard "Bayly announced in connection with the drawing of the English Lotteries that he had "at a considerable Expense, established an Express from London which he expects will arrive after each Day's Drawing, he will therefore take Insurance 'till Ten o'clock of the Night succeeding the Day of Drawing Insured for — The Public may therefore insure with as much Safety and Satisfaction as if the Drawing was on the Spot."

1 19 & 20 Geo.  III,  c.5.
2 C. L’Estrange Ewen,  Lotteries and  Sweepstakes, pp.  336. 34O.
Source: Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland.

Benjamin D'Israeli

Hedge Schools  D'Israeli School Next Rathvilly School

Please report any images or broken links which do not open to
The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM